Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arrangements for Disbanded Bns - Feb 18 Reorganisation

Blackblue

I have noted that at least two Bns of the Lancashire Fusiliers (the 9th and 20th) disbanded in Feb 18 transferred their Regimental Transports to their former Bde HQs with these sub-units 'retaining the name, number and distinguishing marks' of the disbanded Bn. Most of the Bns men were dispersed to different LFs Bns.

This appears to have occurred on the authorisation of D.A.G 3rd Echelon.

I am wondering if anyone as seen similar arrangements and whether this practice was more widespread?

Rgds

Tim D

Tim

I'm aware that the transport section of 20th Royal Fusiliers was attached to 19th Brigade after the disbandment of the remainder of that battalion. There is no mention of them keeping the same marks and identity but this may be the case. How long these sections retained their identity I do not know.

Kind regards

Colin

Hi,

The same thing happened in the 34th Division, the 24th/27th (1/4th Tyneside Irish) and the 26th (3rd Tyneside Irish).

The Transport of the 24th/27th went to 103 Brigade HQ and the officers and men went to various battalions of the NF with those medically downgraded being sent to the Base depot and those surplus personnel to VI Corps Surplus Personnel Camp.

The 26th battalion transport joined HQ 11th Brigade in the 4th Division. The officers and men also went to the various battalions of the NF.

regards

John

Thanks guys,

Interesting stuff.

Rgds

Tim D