The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red Cross Hospital at Hospital at Knockrose. The Scalp, Kilternan, Sou

Ian C

I know this is a long shot but, I have been contacted by the couple who live in the house, Knockrose, and who say that there was a Red Cross hospital there under canvas in WW1, does anyone have any info on this or know where i could look?

Regards

IanC

Hi Dave

Thanks for that, these are the people that contacted me, they are looking to see if there is anymore info then they have, a lot of photos etc were stolen in the 1990's.

Regards

IanC

In my role as prophet of doom/Jonah, there seem to be some inconsistencies in the article. I have a well-known allergy to the term 'field hospital' as there were no British hospitals during the Great War that used the term. But my allergies aside, mustard gas was not deployed on the Western Front until late 1917.

The War Office list of hospitals, both large and small, throughout the UK, dated October 1917, does not include any hospital with any combination of the names given above; no 'Knockrose', 'Scalp,' 'Kilternan,' or anything I can connect to the article. So if the house had functioned as a hospital after 1916, it must have been short-lived and closed by autumn of 1917.

By 1916, casualties were not being routinely transferred from the ports of arrival in England to hospitals in Ireland and the process was causing too many problems. Men with some need to be in Ireland, e.g. family reasons, were collected and nursed in hospitals in the South of England and in London, and when the group was large enough would be transferred 'en masse' to Ireland. So most/all those travelling there would have already had considerable medical and nursing care.

It's clear that the house was used as a convalescent centre and possibly in 1916 as an auxiliary Red Cross Hospital, but I find the possibility of mustard gas cases being nursed in the way described at Knockrose as very unlikely. Maybe the stories have got embroidered in the telling.

Sue

Hi Sue

Thanks for that, like a lot of WW1 stories (although not limited to WW1) this one has probably changed a lot over the years. I have no vested interest, I have been asked to see what I can find and will tell them just what I find, whether or not it is what they want to hear is another thing!!

Regards

IanC