Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MT Driver Memoir Is there one?

Gardenerbill

On 09/12/2016 at 21:02, David Filsell said:

Are the letters of a French transport driver in Salonica of any interest to you?

Sorry David only just read this, yes I would be interested, however I only have school boy French so would need to be a translation.

Wright Lt DSS ASC.jpg

A snippet for you Mark. Lt Wright, writing to the Royal College of Music magazine, initially served with the Red Cross before commission into the ASC.

Edited by Kate Wills

My local newspaper published sections of the dary by a Sgt of the 402nd MT ASC, written from his being attached to the unit shortly before going to France on 20th August, 1915, and his home leave home in early January 1916.

BNA, first part, then every week for next 2 months

Edited by Derek Black

2 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Is it worth signing up for the BNA I don't have an account?

If it's just for a one off line of enquiry, then no. It is a remarkable resource for WW1 though with many letters from soldiers being published, until censorship was tightened up.

Derek.

Edited by Derek Black

Well it is Christmas Mark.

I have annual membership, which I consider a bargain, set against train fares and rushed days wading through hard copies and frantic scribbling or typing out. There are many oddments in hidden corners, or submerged in seemingly unrelated articles which only come to light via online searches.

The only downside is that not every publication you might want is currently available.

Edited by Kate Wills

The British Newspaper Archive is a findmypast company.

It is my understanding that the same newspapers are available as part of the findmypast subscription, which includes service records etc. If you have a findmypast British subscription you don't get access to Irish newspapers, which are part of the findmypast World subscription.

Cheers

Maureen

Kate,

(Apologies all for breaking in)...I'm trying to send you a PM but your inbox perhaps full?

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

Online book where the drivers appear to be ASC personnel

From the Gulf to the Caspian : being the souvenir booklet of the 33rd. Motor Ambulance Convoy which served in Mesopotamia and North Persia, 1916 to 1919  written by various members of the unit who remain anonymous. [1920?]

http://search.slv.vic.gov.au/MAIN:Everything:SLV_VOYAGER241339   State Library of Victoria

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureen,

I am starting to build up a small collection now and each one adds a little more to my understanding of MT Company operations.

• 3 months later...
On 09/12/2016 at 16:08, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Just finished reading this book and really enjoyed it. It's basically a transcription of Frank's diary with annotated explanations from the author, but it is very readable, gives a real insight into the day to day life a Lorry driver carrying out the dangerous job of delivering ammunition to an artillery battery and it ends with a mystery.