Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Gardenerbill

MT Driver Memoir Is there one?

Gardenerbill

Does anyone know if their is a WW1 memoir written by a Motor Transport (lorry) driver, or alternatively an officer in an ASC Motor Transport company.

I have done a qucik search of this forum and couldn't find anything obvious.

As usual any information appreciated.

JOHN BALL

Theres a nice little book The Motor- Bus in War,written by a Lt A.M. Beatson A.S.C. Available on Amazon,better still, free on Gutenberg books, read online,download etc.

John

Dust Jacket Collector

With the Motor Transport in British East Africa by Sgt. William. E. W. Terrell. Headley Bros. c1920. He was with the 599th Company M.T. with the British East African Expeditionary Force. He died of malaria in Nov. 1918. Unfortunately it's a rare book.

Dust Jacket Collector

Also 'East Africa by Motor Lorry' by W. W. Campbell. John Murray 1928

johnboy

There is a bit about a drivers personal diary on the Swansea University website. It is supposed to have been digitized,

Gardenerbill

Thank you all for your prompt replies.

I shall go and see what I can find from your suggestions and report back.

Gardenerbill

There is a bit about a drivers personal diary on the Swansea University website. It is supposed to have been digitized,

Thanks johnboy a quick search on the Swansea website came up with a downloadable pdf containing the story of Edgar Wynn Williams a driver with ASC, it contains extracts from the diary along with pictures of pages and familt photographs.

Gardenerbill

Actually there are 2 PDFs available on the Swansea University website, the first covers Edgar Wynn Williams time in Egypt and the second on the western front. Unfortunately the diary comes to an abrupt end on the 30th July 1916, even though he was not infured and survived the war.

Maureene

Not by a Driver, but may be of interest:

With The M.T. In Mesopotamia by Brevet Lieut. Col . F. W. Leland, R.A.S.C., published 1920, available as a reprint from Naval and Military Press

http://www.naval-military-press.com/with-the-m.t.-in-mesopotamia.html

From the description "Often hair-raising in its account of the obstacles faced and overcome"

There is also the Royal Logistic Corps Museum http://www.rlcmuseum.co.uk/index.html, which may have diaries etc and the RLC [Royal Logistic Corps] Digital Library http://www.rlcarchive.org/Welcome.aspx . The latter has online Journals of the Royal Army Service Corps. Free to search, but pay to view articles.

Cheers

Maureen

Gardenerbill

Thanks Maureen, Royal Logistic Corps Museum is on my list of places to visit and I will have a look at the links you have provided.

bts1970

With the MT in Mesopotamia is a very informative publication (picked my copy up for £5 and re-sold it after research for £85), hope that copies are cheaper by reprint!

I also remember reading a copy of a book written by an ASC driver in Salonika but i cannot recall its title, again a very detailed account.

Bob

Gardenerbill

Seasider,

I intend to buy 'With the MT in Mesopotamia' the reprint on Naval and Military press is priced at £18 not cheap but in my price range.

A book written by an ASC MT driver in Salonika would be the holy grail for me, its a pity you can't remember the details.

P.S. are you from Blackpool?

Edited by Gardenerbill

bts1970

I have scoured the internet & cannot find it. it wasn't a really old publication either if I remember, maybe 60`s, rough card covered. Doesn`t help you too much......I will keep looking.

P.S St Annes on sea, now living Oxfordshire.

Black Maria

It's always worth keeping an eye on e-bay, an original copy of ' With the M.T in Mesopotamia ' sold for £25 , a week ago.

Dust Jacket Collector

It's always worth keeping an eye on e-bay, an original copy of ' With the M.T in Mesopotamia ' sold for £25 , a week ago.

....and very good it is too.

Black Maria

....and very good it is too.

:thumbsup:

Gardenerbill

Acquired a copy of 'With the MT in Mesopotamia' Naval and Military Press reprint for £12 on Ebay brand new, just started reading it will post my thoughts when finished.

Maureene

I recently came across an online book

With the Serbs in Macedonia by Douglas Walshe 1920 Archive.org. https://archive.org/details/withserbsinmaced00walsrich

The author was an officer with 708 Company M T, ASC. A Light Supply and Ammunition Column of Ford vans attached to the Serbian Army.

Dust Jacket Collector mentioned above With the Motor Transport in British East Africa February, 1916 - November, 1918 by William Terrell.

I saw a description of this book which said: Essentially a memorial volume, Terrell died of cerebral malaria in November 1918, containing his letters home and his log-book, and dedicated by his mother to her son's comrades of the 599th Co. M.T. A.S.C., British East African Expeditionary Force. Prints the letter of condolence received from the sergeant's mess Dar-es-Salaam as an epilogue, "Our hardships out here have not been recounted by Reuter's Agency, but are known only to those undergoing them. Short food, bad water, excessive heat and exposure, coupled with lack of medical comforts, gave us our baptism of the tropics … Now at the completion of things generally, those that have "stuck it" are asked to continue "sticking it" until the inevitable happens, and one succumbs. A fortune of war that to you has meant a sacrifice, we again tender our deepest sympathy."

Cheers

Maureen

edit: link is  https://web.archive.org/web/20161209215641/https://www.vialibri.net/552display_i/year_1918_0_472850.html

Edited by Maureene

Gardenerbill

Maureen,

Thankyou, I shall have a look at 'With the Serbs in Macedonia'. I have finished reading 'With the MT in Mesopotamia' and posted a review in this subforum a week or two ago. The bulk of the transport vehicles in Mesopotamia were Ford vans so there are similarities with MT transport in Salonika.

Maureene
On 20/01/2015 at 03:33, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Also 'East Africa by Motor Lorry' by W. W. Campbell. John Murray 1928

I came across a few more details about this book:

Full title:  East Africa by Motor Lorry : Recollections of an Ex-Motor Transport Driver 

Author: William Wallace Campbell (of Nottingham.)

'Engaging reminiscences of the WWI campaign in Tanganyika and Mozambique, by a Motor Transport driver.' from

https://web.archive.org/web/20161208131816/http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/237605614/East_Africa_By_Motor_Lorry_Recollections_of_an_Ex_Motor_Transport_Driver.html  (scroll down page) which contains a couple of photos from the book, also a map, and advises that the book contains 52 illustrations. There is also a quote from the author's Preface

"My object in writing these reminiscences is to place on record a true account of work undertaken in a strange and savage country by inexperienced city men, called out from the comfort of their own homes and from the blessings of civilised surroundings, by the exigencies of war, to a new and little-dreamt-of exploratory campaign the like of which, inasmuch as the motor car played such a unique part, will probably never happen again - at least not as we knew it."

There is another copy of one of the photographs in this link https://web.archive.org/web/20161208131346/https://www.sotherans.co.uk/2093023

Some of the men sent from England are mentioned on page 170  The East African Force 1915-1919; an unofficial record of its creation and fighting career; together with some account of the civil and military administrative conditions in East Africa before and during that period by Brigadier General C P Fendall 1921 Archive.org 

Cheers

Maureen

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

There is now a newly published book, compiled from the private diaries of an MT lorry driver (Frank Sanderson), by Brian Clancy.

"Frank's War in a Thornycroft". ISBN 9781537429304, About £4 + postage from the Amazon.

An interesting read, about his experiences from enlistment in April 1915 to his time in France up to January 1917, when for some reason they end abruptly.

He wasn't killed or injured!

One of the few books written by an ASC driver about his time on the Western Front, and just about the only one by a lorry driver in this theatre.

Gardenerbill

Both Abebooks and Amazon have 'Eat Africa by Motor Lorry' for £75, a bit out of my price range, if it was 'The Balkans by Motor Lorry' I would probably pay up alas no such book exists

Gardenerbill

Thanks Dai that's more in my price range I shall look it up.

David Filsell

Are the letters of a French transport driver in Salonica of any interest to you?