Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing wounded comrades

daddyshortlegs

Hi all

Bit of a long shot perhaps but I'm trying to get an acurate as possible indication of when and where my Granfather ( Hoban 4657) was actually wounded. I've narrowed it down to the period between 2-10 Sept 16 during the battles of Guillemont and Ginchy. I'm inclined to think the latter as the 7th RIR were heavily engaged in this battle particularly on the 8th/9th Sept. Ive attached the Role of Honour published in the IT dated 20th Oct' 16.

Thanks to another site I've been able to locate where the Jersey Pals listed had fallen but haven't been able to trace any of the Irish or other wounded comrades listed in the ROH.

If anyone has any info on any of these men perhaps where they were wounded or hospital records etc it might place my GF in similar location. I know it's a long shot but some one might have some info.

Thanks very much in advance!

post-108873-0-05532700-1421666962_thumb.

Try the War Diaris of the 7th RIR

Yours for £3.30 online from TNA click for TNA page

Hi Corisande thanks for replying,

I've already checked the diaries but unfortunately they are a bit vague as to listing wounded around the time his unit was garrison from 4th-7th Sept at Guillemot after they relieved two battalions of the 47th Brigade following the attack. According to some accounts they came under shell fire in Berrafay Wood and while consolidating their positions. There's no entry at all for Sept 5th. I fully understand diaries being vague as this was a pretty intense and chaotic battle.

The 8th 9th before zero hour of the attack on Ginchy was also particular devastating for his unit. According to one report the Co Lieu Col SG Francis announced that the Rifles had only 150 bayonets left for the assault on Ginchy. Chances he got that far without picking up a wound?? Maybe!!

I'll keep digging many thanks for your help.

Always worth seeing if the Divisional war diaries have a Quartermaster War Diary as this also gives a daily record of numbers of casualties in each unit. Always think bigger - the Brigade and Divisional headquarters diary should always be checked. Sometimes these contain additional reports.

Checking the surviving service records of everyone on the list is always a worthwhile and productive effort.

Mark