Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Rowley Private 21471 Northumberland Fusiliers

GaryG

Good morning, im having a spot of bother trying to desiphere these two pieces of my maternal Grandfathers service record, especially the transfer from the West Yorks to the Fusiliers? can anyone give me a second opinion on these?

30974_186897-00620_zps98c8f0ce.jpg

30974_186897-00616_zps7178220a.jpg

History Sheet reads;-

Attested & Posted West Yorks Regt Depot - 13/1/15

Posted 3rd(Reserve)Bn, West Yorks - 16/1/15

Transferred 3rd(Res)Bn, N.F. - 7/7/15(renumbered 21471)

Posted 1st Bn, N.F. - 13/7/15

Transferred Royal Army Veterinary Corps - 5/6/17(renumbered 29979)

Hi Gary

Looking at the first page, it looks like he attested on 13th January 1915 and joined 3rd Battalion West Yorks. on 16th January. According to LLT, this was a training unit, which remained in UK throughout the war. The battalion moved in August 1914 to Whitley Bay and was part of the Tyne Garrison. As his NOK lived in Co. Durham, this may account for him undertaking his training with this battalion.

He appears to have then transferred to the 3rd Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers on 7th July 1915 and been assigned to 1st Battalion on 13th July 1915. His MIC shows that he entered theatre 14th July 1915 so this would make sense.

The second page shows hospital treatment during early 1917 after which he appears to have been transferred to the Army Veterinary Corps around 5th June 1917. His MIC shows he was renumbered as SE29979 and he appears under this number on the British War Medal and Victory Medal Roll, which does mention his Northumberland Fusiliers service but not the battalion.

He is also listed on the 1914-1915 Star Roll under the Army Veterinary Corps, which also shows that he was transferred to Class Z of the Army Reserve on 23rd February 1919

Regards

John

Graham,John thanks very much, it was the transferring from the 3rd to the 1st Battalion that i was stuck on tbh. I managed to piece his injury/wound period and spell away from the front resulting in his SE to the Army Veterinary Corps, i cant remember if he had a noticible injury to his hand if im honest as nearly all the miners in my lot had digets missing!!!

Once again, thanks chaps.

Regards

Gary

Gary

Happy to help.If you don't have access, I can see if there is a mention in the War Diary as to what was happening when he was wounded - he might also appear on a casualty list.

Regards

John

That would be a great help John thanks.

Gary

Will look tonight

Regards

John

Hi Gary

According to the Casualty Form - Active Service, William was wounded on 5th February 1917 ICT (Not sure what abbreviation stands for) thumb and was admitted to 24th Ambulance Train. He received treatment at the 16th General Hospital based at Le Tréport from 8th February until 14th March when he went No. 3 Convalescent Depot also at Le Tréport. He transferred to 1st? Convalescent Camp at Etaples on 25th March 1917 and Base Detail as of 20th April 1917. On 23rd April 1917, he was attached to the 23rd Veterinary Hospital at Etaples. He formally transferred to the Army Veterinary Corps on 5th June 1917.

According to the War Diary, the Battalion arrived in billets at Arras on 2nd February 1917, but were sending working parties to the Royal Engineers to bury cables. This continued every day until the 10th. On 11th February, they moved into billets at Hauteville. The only casualties mentioned in the War Diary during this time occurred between 8th February and 10th February when one other rank was killed and Second Lieutenant S V Bradford and five other ranks were wounded when a shell burst as they were leaving their billets in Arras. No men are mentioned as dying on 8th or 9th February with the battalion, so its likely that this occurred on the 10th when the only fatalities listed between 1st and 10th February occurred (40146 Private Ralph William Fenwick and 40151 Private Charles Henry Hassell) Fenwick is listed as killed in action, but Hassell is listed as died and it is possible both died as a result of this incident as the War Diary is merged to cover 8th-10th February. It is also therefore possible that William incurred his wound during one of these working parties.

Regards

John

John thats fantastic, thank you for your help. Its very much starting to make sense as the 30 CCS was at Aubigny where he was first seen, im off to Ypres then Albert in May so needless to say the Arras area is very much high on the list. Now to start to trace my other Grandfathers steps with 11 Battalion DLI :thumbsup:

Regards

Gary

Hi Gary

Glad I could help

Regards

John

Hi Gary

Believe I have found William on 1911 Census - living with parents, Joseph and Mary Ann Rowley, and siblings – Jonathan, Annie, Richard, Ellen, Harriet, Abigail, Ruth and Joseph - at 3, New Railway Row, Trimdon, County Durham. His father is listed as coal miner (stoneman) and William is listed as pony driver in coal mine. This census says born Newton Lancashire. If this is correct, when he enlisted he had moved to 10, New Railway Row, Trimdon, County Durham as per original post.

Given that he was a pony driver in a coal mine, this may account for why he transferred to AVC when downgraded following his injury

Regards

John

Thanks again for that John, yes Grandad moved from Lancashire was i think he was 5 years old, theres a couple of names i recognized immidiatley there.

Might as well put a face to the name as well John....

Introducing my Grandad Billy Rowley

GrandadBill_zpse9eade3a.jpg

(West Yorks Hat badge i think)

Hi Gary

Good to put a face to the name! looks like West York's badge signs of a running horse - certainly not Northumberland Fusiliers or Army Veterinary Corps.

Incidentally, 1901 census has him living in Haydock and born Haydock

Regards

John

• 4 years later...
On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 20:12, John Beech said:

Hi Gary

According to the Casualty Form - Active Service, William was wounded on 5th February 1917 ICT (Not sure what abbreviation stands for) thumb and was admitted to 24th Ambulance Train. He received treatment at the 16th General Hospital based at Le Tréport from 8th February until 14th March when he went No. 3 Convalescent Depot also at Le Tréport. He transferred to 1st? Convalescent Camp at Etaples on 25th March 1917 and Base Detail as of 20th April 1917. On 23rd April 1917, he was attached to the 23rd Veterinary Hospital at Etaples. He formally transferred to the Army Veterinary Corps on 5th June 1917.

According to the War Diary, the Battalion arrived in billets at Arras on 2nd February 1917, but were sending working parties to the Royal Engineers to bury cables. This continued every day until the 10th. On 11th February, they moved into billets at Hauteville. The only casualties mentioned in the War Diary during this time occurred between 8th February and 10th February when one other rank was killed and Second Lieutenant S V Bradford and five other ranks were wounded when a shell burst as they were leaving their billets in Arras. No men are mentioned as dying on 8th or 9th February with the battalion, so its likely that this occurred on the 10th when the only fatalities listed between 1st and 10th February occurred (40146 Private Ralph William Fenwick and 40151 Private Charles Henry Hassell) Fenwick is listed as killed in action, but Hassell is listed as died and it is possible both died as a result of this incident as the War Diary is merged to cover 8th-10th February. It is also therefore possible that William incurred his wound during one of these working parties.

Regards

John

Dear Mr. Beech

I read with great interest the above account, as I am researching my great uncle, Private Ralph Willian Fenwick and his associated war record.

My daughter managed to visit his grave last year at Fauberg D'Amiens, Arras for the centenary and later this month I visit Aldborough St. John & Stanwick St. John churches with my father (his nephew) where he is commenorated. I would be interested to know where I could read or obtain the section of the war diary to which you refer above - thank you.

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 20:12, John Beech said:

Hi Gary

Regards

John

Kind regards,

Julian Lishman

I would be interested to know where I could read or obtain the section of the war diary to which you refer above - thank you.

The war diary is available to view on Ancestry.co.uk (and may be available for download from the National Archives).

Craig

Hi Julian,

Welcome to the forum.

At the National Archives the diary is here, and on Ancestry February 1917 starts here. His Soldiers' Effects record names his mother (Anna) as his sole legatee. The associated will is here. It may well only consist of a very few words though - possibly along the lines of 'in the eventuality of my death, I leave everything to my mother'. If you did decide to get a copy. it would arrive as a low resolution B&W scan attached to an email, a couple of days after ordering.

Regards

Chris