Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L-16576 Sergeant William Morey R.F.A.

crodgers

Hi all

I was wondering if someone can answer a couple of questions which I think may be rather basic but I am going ask them anyway.

I am researching the service of L-16576 Sergeant William Morey R.F.A. and I came across an entry in The National Roll of the Great War, 1914-1918.

I should point out I also have the medal card and Roll entries from ancestry.

L-16576 Sergeant William MOREY (ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY)

Volunteering in May 1915, he was drafted to France in July and served with distinction at the battle of Loos, Albert, The Somme (I), Arras, Messines, Ypers (III), Cambrai (I), and the Somme (II). He was wounded in action in each of of the three last mentioned engagements and was finally invalided to hospital in Stockport. Demobilised in January 1919, he holds the 1914-15 Star, and the Gneral Service and Victory medals. He lives at 5, Auburn Place, Moor Street, Rusholme, Manchester.

My questions are:

1. Is the SWB register complete? I would have thought that if William was wounded 3 times he would have got at least one mention?

​2. I am looking to find out which battery he served with and seeing his pension/enlistments papers are not available on Ancestry I have run into a brick wall.

3. I intended to de some background research on where he grew up etc but because there is loads of William Morey's on ancestry born around 1890s I fear that I will never figure that bit out but it never hurts to ask?

Any assistance is gratefully received.

Cam

1911 Census possibility:

First name(s) William
Last name Morey
Relationship to household head Son
Marital condition Single
Gender Male
Age 21
Birth year 1890
Birth place Lancs Liverpool
Occupation Carter
Address 15 John St Rusholme
Parish South Manchester
County Lancashire
Country England
Registration district Chorlton
Registration district number 464
Subdistrict Ardwick
Subdistrict number 2
Enumeration district 66
Piece number 23767
Piece Number Suffix -
Schedule number 230
Schedule Suffix -
Census reference RG14PN23767 RG78PN1378B RD464 SD2 ED66 SN230

Not resident at 3 Moor St in 1911....

Hi all

I was wondering if someone can answer a couple of questions which I think may be rather basic but I am going ask them anyway.

1. Is the SWB register complete? I would have thought that if William was wounded 3 times he would have got at least one mention?

Cam

The Silver War Badge was awarded to men who were honourably discharged under certain regulations, the most commonly seen reason being when the soldier had been released on account of being permanently physically unfit.

It was introduced so those not in uniform could wear it as evidence that they had "done their bit" for the war.

William was not discharged before the end of hostilities, remaining a soldier until 1919, so although he was wounded he was not eligible for the Silver War Badge.

CGM.

LINK to the entry on The Long, Long Trail.

as he has an L/xxxx number [ie he *should* be part of a locally raised artillery Brigade] and came from Manchester - then I would expect he was in one of the local brigades.. if enlisting March and going to France July 1915 that seems a little strange .. not least as I cannot see any of the local Brigade going to France in summer 1915 .. [most we recruiting then...] . But the L/xxx prefix narrows this down to a relatively few units.. I might look at 1915 star roll for similar L/xxx numbers with similar 'date of entry' dates. But do bear in mind the National Roll entries very commonly have significant errors.

L/16570 Thomas Napier Postlethwaite enlisted Rochdale 06-04-15, joined 149 Brigade RFA at St. Annes on Sea

L/16582 John Etherington enlisted Preston 08-04-15, joined 149 Brigade RFA at St. Annes on Sea

Date of entry on Medal Card of 28-11-15 also matches 149 Brigade RFA.

The National Roll entry would appear incorrect as far as these dates are concerned.

I agree with David Porter - a large proportion of RFA men on CWGC website with service numbers L/16XXX were with 149 Brigade (30th Div.) and, from '14-15 Star Medal Rolls, all first went to France on 28 November 1915. Worth studying the Rolls in more detail (as Battiscombe has suggested) but there is a definite pattern.

C

Cam

On 08/02/1915 the Bolton Evening News reported that Lord Kitchener has requested Lord Derby to raise two Brigades of Field Artillery with Ammunition Columns and a Heavy Battery. On 01/03/1915 the BEN reported that one Battery was to be raised in each of the following towns: Liverpool, Preston, Bolton, Manchester, Blackburn, Warrington, Wigan and St Helens. The Bolton Battery filled up rapidly and was identified as D Battery, 148 Brigade. These Units were known as Comrades Batteries and collectively as the County Palatine RFA. Lord Derby took charge of raising the Artillery and the Manchester Recruiting Committee recruited Royal Engineers from Manchester and the surrounding towns. These RFA and RE Units were for 30 Division. All CP RFA men mentioned in the Bolton papers as the war progressed had numbers L/xxxxx. A photograph of the recruiting boards outside Manchester Town Hall for the CPRA and CPRE can be seen in Martin Middlebrook's "Your Country Needs You".

Brian

Thanks to everybody to has replied. I will take your suggestions and advice and will report back if I locate anything further.

I really appreciate the assistance

Cam