Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US volunteer ambulance drivers

healdav

I have just started reading, "Letters from Verdun" written by a US ambulance driver on his experiences.

The introduction says that the diary keeper recounts that some soldiers deliberately exposed themselves to poison gas so as to get themselves away from the front line (I haven't read this yet), and the ditor or author of the book also says that, 'The war saw the frightening advent of poison gas as a "weapon of mass destruction", though ironically, the toxic mustard and chlorine gasses were relatively humane weapons".

I have never heard either of these statements before. Any comments?

The statements do seem rather odd. It would be interesting to know the date of the events the author is describing and also the date of publication of the book. Weapons of mass destruction is, I think, a fairly modern phrase.

Old Tom

The book was published in 2009, which accounts for the 'weapons of........' reference.

I haven't read the book yet (it is the diary of a volunteer driver with 'expert' comments. The diary writer becomes a volunteer ambulance driver, but not until 1917. His first diary entry is dated June 27.