Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Welsh Fusilier number

2li

Hi

Can any one help me with this topic

I am trying to find out about a soldier of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers who has two numbers 8505 and 201101

Pte. Edward Bather R.W.F.

His medal cards states entitled to War and Victory medals, his medals are numbered 8505

can any one tell me why he as the other number when was it given and is the second number a Territorial number

this chap survived the war, but no papers

any help much appreciated

PHIL

Seems like he may have been in a TF battalion and renumbered early 1917.

Edward Bather served overseas as a Private with the 1/4th (Denbighshire) Battalion RWF (Territorial Force). Initially as no. 8505, then when the TF numbering system was changed early in 1917 he became 201101 (4th Battalion's new block numbers commenced with 200000). For much of the war the unit was Pioneer battalion to the 47th (London) Division.

Clive

I have Edward Bather 8505/201101 as being from Pandy, Llansilin. He would have enlisted around Nov 1915. He is on a War Office RWF casualty list dated 3 5 1918 and has Ruabon as placename for next of kin. There is usually 4 to 6 weeks from event to list. Although I haven't throughly analysed the list others on it were wounded 24/25 3 1918. The 1st 4th Bn were caught up in the German Spring Offensive which started 21st March so it's fair to assume he was also wounded in that week.

Hywyn

Many kind thanks to you all for a quick reply to my question, you have all answered everything I need to know

all the very best

PHIL