Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvt James Oswald Suicide - 12 Oct 1916

ss002d6252

This is a man I cannot find on the CWGC .

James Oswald, 253, Stockport Road, West Gorton, Manchester, who shot himself in Victoria Park the early hours of Wednesday morning, was heard at the Manchester City today before Mr. William Sellars. Mrs. Oswald, mother of the deceased, said she was a widow, ahd before joining the army her son had assisted her in the pawnbroking business. He joined the Gordon Highlanders, and was twenty-six years of age. During his life it had been necessary to send him abroad on account of his health. At different times he had been in the army hospitals. He came home on October 1, and during time was at home complained of pains in the head. Whilst in Manchester went to the Whitworth street Hospital. On October 9 he received a telegram from the camp headquarters summoning him back to the force. Witness wrote back asking for extension of the time home, as he was very depressed, and she did not think it was safe for him to make the journey. On Tuesday he was cheerful, and in the evening went out to see his young lady. He had been very disappointed at not being allowed to go abroad. Sergeant Alexander Hunter said deceased was in his company. He was a very nice quiet fellow, and rarely spoke to anyone- Samuel Pavlouskv, Langdale Road, Victoria Park, stated that he was going home about 12 30, and when nearing the Christian Science Church he heard a report of a firearm. A little further on he came across the body of soldier lying in the roadway. Blood was flowing freely, and he at once summoned assistance. P.C. told the court that Oswald had a wound at the right side of the head and died at 1.20. The jury returned verdict suicide whilst insane.

Deaths Dec 1916

Oswald James 26 Chorlton 8c 905

Friday 13 October 1916 , Manchester Evening News

Soldiers Effects show that he died of suicide whilst serving

post-51028-0-42151800-1421498774_thumb.j

Craig

Leave it with us, Craig.

Perhaps you would like to PM me - we prefer to record the "finds" under people's real names if they are OK with that.

John

Leave it with us, Craig.

Perhaps you would like to PM me - we prefer to record the "finds" under people's real names if they are OK with that.

John

PM sent. Thanks

Can you take a look at the other thread I started just below this one and see what you think on that one when you get a minute?

Craig

• 3 months later...

Just to conclude the story - Oswald has now been accepted for commemoration. An excellent "spot" on Craig's part.

John