Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Touring the Western Front - in Denmark!

Beechhill

Only found out about this the other day. Apparently the Germans feared a British landing in Esbjerg and established a formidable line of defense, Sicherungsstellung Nord, coast-to-coast.

After the area returned to Denmark post-war, the Danish army destroyed the majority of it, to prevent facilitating a German retake of southern Jutland, but apparently several bunker structures, artillery emplacements etc. remain intact.

I found this link in English for your convenience. There are several sites in German, including a wiki page, available too.

http://www.fortress-scandinavia.dk/Sik_nord_GB/

/Dan

Edited by Beechhill

I visited this about 20 years ago with a local man, Mogens Scott Hansen, who had spent years researching the defence line. At the time little of it was open to the public but I believe more of it is accessible now. He had published a book about it - Sikringstilling Nord - which may still be available.

Christina

An admirable person, who gave up his job and career, living off his wife's teachers salary, to document the line through 20 years. A true firesoul!

Apparently the local tourist board also offers guided tours. Just as well, since I've excelled in walking in the dark myself.

http://sikringsstillingnord.dk/?Guidede_ture

(in Danish, Google translate available)

Edit: I hope you enjoyed your tour, as well as my country, Christina.

Edited by Beechhill

Thanks for pointer on this one Beechhill.

We'll be in Denmark later this year and will certainly be following some of the locations up.

Wayne

Fascinating! Thank you, Beechhill. I was especially interested to read the quote attributed to Ludendorff, to the effect that unrestricted submarine warfare was likely to lead, sooner or later, to war with Holland and Denmark, and that Germany simply had no resources to spare to defend herself against those countries, if they were to attack Germany from their respective directions. That makes a very interesting 'what if'.

Very interesting, Beechhill, thank you. I visit the Danish island of Aeroe, just off the coast of South Jutland and the German border, about twice a year, and have sent this link to my brother who lives there. Perhaps we'll get to see it one day too

Liz

Hi Beechhill,

Jo, det gjorde jeg. I'd lived in Denmark for 6 years so Jutland wasn't new to me or the family. My brother in law was living in Sønderborg at the time.

Scott Hansen was an interesting man with pronounced opinions that must have been very politically incorrect. His dog was called Bismarck.

Christina