The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Bn London Regiment (The Rangers) help

scottroberts

Ladies and Gentleman,

I'm currently researching two relatives who served in 12th Bn London Regiment (The Rangers) for a presentation I am scheduled to give to my own Regiment (The Rifles). I am trying to find out more information about:

#2155 Rfn Herbert William PHILLIPS (kia 01/07/16) who I believe arrived in France in April 1915 and is buried at Couin.

#1180 (later 471079) Rfn Henry Cullen PHILLIPS (wia 20/07/16 and 25/09/16) who was a pre war Territorial who re-enlisted in 1915.

I have looked at the war diary for the 12th Bn London Regiment (The Rangers) at the National Archives and neither of the Phillips brothers are mentioned.

I am specifically looking for information on Herbert Phillips' pre 1916 service and try to clarify a few family rumours and stories. In addition to this there is the time spent by Henry Phillips at the East Reach Hospital in Taunton, Somerset.

Can anyone provide any evidence and documentation that might shed light on either of them for my presentation? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Scott

Scott

Welcome to the Forum !

No service record seems to have survived for Herbert,not unusual as around 70% were lost in 1940. At least you know when he first landed in a war zone (France) and with whom.

The date on his Medal Index Card shows 9.3.1915 and with 12 Londons. Tracing this to is Medal Roll shows that he came home again on 17.5.1915 and returned to France again from 19.11.1915 to the date of his death,dying of wounds at a Field Ambulance based at Couin. There is a likelihood that he was wounded or sick to account for his 6 months at home. His entry in Soldiers died in the Great War shows residence in Walthamstow and enlisted in London.CWGC (war graves) show he lived with his parents JW and Mrs MA Phillips at 8 Bristol Park Road.

Scott,

It looks like Herbert fought in and survived the battle of Frezenberg - the Rangers most celebrated action. Do you know what trade he had within the battalion?

Gents,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been quite busy.

How were you able to find out about the medal roll card and his 6 months in the UK? I've managed to find the medals card but on my one it shows nothing of a trip home.

I have no idea what trade he had in the battalion. From my investigation I can only make assumptions a the moment due to lack of documented evidence.

Scott

Scott

The date info is on the original Medal Roll on Ancestry UK. If you get on there go into Military and bring up the Card Catalogue,you have to click on this title on the right of the page below the three or four items there (such as service records). Page 3 has the database for the rolls,but you need to scroll the page as it presents as an empty void !