Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Creed. 18th Kings Royal Rifles. KIA 3/10/1918?

GWF1967

Hi,

I am researching James Creed b.7/1/1883 in Waddeston Bucks. A bricklayers son.

Living in South Harrow in 1911, a farm labourer.

I have a medal roll no. Two sevice No.s one for the Army Service Corps Ss/4425 And one for the K. R. R. C. A/203757.

I believe he was with the 18th battalion Arts&Crafts attached to the 122nd Brigade.

May 1916 Le Harve.

Nov 1917. Italy.

March 1918. France.

He was killed on 3/10/1918 and is buried at Hooge Crater Cemetery.

I can't find a service or pension record for James and would appreciate any pointers or info as to where the 18th were on 3/10/1918.

Thanks.

Guy.

Also posted under index records. Sorry for the duplication.

Guy.

Guy

I don't have access to the 18th KRRC war diary but if you contact Colin W Taylor he

as indicate in a past post that he has the battalion war dairy for March so possibly this date as well.

Failing this the British National Archive probably has the war diary (WO95/2635) on line for a small fee.

If you have visited James Creed's page on the CWGC website you will see a exhumation report which indicates his

original place of burial as Q.9.b.3.3. The greater Ypres area was covered by Sheet 28.

Google Mcmaster University Trench Maps and down load sheet 28. If you zoom into Q.9.b.3.3 you will see the exact place

where he was buried. This is south of Geluwe in Belgium on the west side of the road towards Werwick.

If you don't have experience reading trench maps the long long trail has a page dedicated to teach you.

All the best

Micks

Guy,

Please delete the other post, or GWF members trying to help you will end up wasting their time repeating research already carried out on this one.

BillyH.

Guy,

Please delete the other post, or GWF members trying to help you will end up wasting their time repeating research already carried out on this one.

BillyH.

Hi BillyH,

I have contacted the moderator to have the other post removed, appologies to all.

Guy

Micks - many thanks for the trench maps info.

Graeme - I had found his headstone, I now have a copy of the war diary on the way.

Many thanks to all for replies.