Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
phsvm

FreeBMD site - adding info to it.

phsvm

Many of us probably use the excellent free website FreeBMD for finding births, deaths and marriages of those we are researching but how many of us know of a little used facility the site has to offer?

If you use the site regulalry (and apparently there are over a quarter of a million searches made on the site each day) you will know that when you bring up a record there will be a little pair of spectacles to the right of the entry. If you click on this it opens another window which allows you to 'Add a postem'.

Click on this and it opens a box where, if you have a copy of the certificate this entry relates to, you can add the certificate details. You then click on the create button and the record you have made will be available to anyone checking that registration in the future by just clicking on the envelope symbol that will appear by the entry.

Birth, marriage and death certificates do not come cheap - £10 a time - so the more we have access to without having to purchase them the better. How many certificates have you puchrased - 10, 50 or only 1? However many just think how much more money you would have to put towards your other research costs if you have been able to access the information the certificates gave you because someone had shared it with you?

If we all support this great FREE service it will help us all. So with the weather as it is at the moment and none of us wanting to be outside why not spend a half an hour listing the details you have on the FreeBMD site?

BillyH

phsvm,

It's a nice idea, but if I was to transcribe details of all the certificates that I have bought it would take a good few hours!

Pity we couldn't just attach an image of the document instead?

BillyH.

phsvm

So why not do 2 or 3 at a time? I did 4 this evening and it took me less than 10 minutes. As a well known supermarket tells us 'every little helps'.

phsvm

It's disappointing that the only response there has been to this post has been such a negative one. I've posted a similar message on a genealogy forum and all the responses - and there have been a great many - have been so positive. As one person said "With family history research I'm a firm believer of 'what goes around, comes around. Over the last couple of weeks a wonderful person has been looking at county archives in a different part of the country on my behalf. I'm absolutely delighted with his efforts - it may well have been a year before I could have gone there myself. While I can't reciprocate directly, I hope that I can do a few small good deeds for others by way of a 'thank-you'.

I do hope that other members of this forum, even though they haven't commented, are more in support of this facility on FreeBMD and will contribute to it.

BillyH

It's disappointing that the only response there has been to this post has been such a negative one.

I did say that it was a nice idea!

BillyH.

W.J.Caughey

phsvm.

The other night i seen your post and having no English or Wales Certs i postem a soldiers death whom i knew died at Norwich, August 1914, i included my email address but now noticed it hasn't appeared, along with more info, more than likely my fault.

Will take me a while to get use to website, but have a few more others to post.

Joseph Reford died 21/8/1914 on CWGC but i had a newspaper obit of his death. as you can see i done this 15/1/2015.

Should be very useful to me, so thanks for posting.

Walter

phsvm

Hi Walter

I does say it can take up to 24 hours to appear. Some times I've put things on the site and by the time I've done 2 or 3 others the first one is visible, other times it can take until the next day. Your posting is certainly there now!

Phil Evans

phsvm,

Thanks for posting that.

I've used FreeBMD for years and often followed on to view the scanned register entry, but never spotted that feature. Is it relatively new?

Phil

phsvm

Phil

No - it's been there a long time although, I suspect still not widely known about which is a shame as it's such a great idea.

For anyone who does post comments about an entry, if it's a marriage you have to put it on both entries having searched with both parties as the lead name otherwise it'll only appear on the one entry (if that makes sense!)

Anneca

phsvm - I would like to thank you (in advance) for this information. The reason I am responding now is because you have said the only response you had received had been negative. I did take note of your first post and thought it could be useful, intending to try the site at a later date. I appreciate very much the trouble you have gone to in sharing this, but some members (especially those of a certain age) can take much longer to try new websites when they come across them as more pressing matters take their attention and need to be addressed. However, it is most kind of you to post not only information about the site but also to explain how it works which is very helpful and much appreciated.

Anne

phsvm

It's a good few years since I posted this originally so thought it wouldn't hurt to remind everyone of the opportunity to post additional info on FreeBMD.

I know a huge amount of extra info is now available on line but in the words of a well know supermarket 'every little helps' :rolleyes:

Jim Clay

As a former transcriber for FreeBMD - a few years have passed since my last transcription :whistle: ... but I still make quite frequent use of the site - I'd encourage folks to use this excellent free resource and, if they are able, to add what info they can, as phsvm suggests. 

Coldstreamer

id not used this site till yesterday!brings up quite a bit more than fmp searches