Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victory/British War Medal Roll- Mystery Markings

smawson44

On the Victory/ British War Medal Roll, (not the Medal index card) there is a column marked 'theaters of war in which served'. On the page where my ancestor is listed there are a variety of markings, all with a check next to them. My ancestor has a 'X' next to his. Other soldiers on the page have 'O' and others have some underlined letters, possibly 'ONS' Is there anyone that could explain to me what these markings stand for?

Thanks,

Simon

As you haven't included an image of the Roll or the name of the man concerned, it'd be impossible for anyone to comment without complete guess work.

Sam

On the Victory/ British War Medal Roll, (not the Medal index card) there is a column marked 'theaters of war in which served'. On the page where my ancestor is listed there are a variety of markings, all with a check next to them. My ancestor has a 'X' next to his. Other soldiers on the page have 'O' and others have some underlined letters, possibly 'ONS' Is there anyone that could explain to me what these markings stand for?

Several people have asked similar questions on GWF. I think it's generally accepted that these annotations were made by the people issuing the medals (they may be their initials, or short-hand notes regarding the disposal of the medals in question - in any case, they certainly aren't relevant to the man's service beyond the fact that they relate to the issuing of his campaign medals).