Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Three Brothers

mordac

Hi All:

My wife and I are researching the CWGC graves and family memorials in a local cemetery. On Friday we found a family memorial for three brothers who died serving as British airmen in WW1. They were born in New Westminster, B.C., Canada. We're hoping some of the Baker Pals can help us fill in a portion of the history for these young men:

Flight Sub-Lieutenant Stanley Valentine Trapp

8th Sqdn., 22nd Wing Royal Flying Corps, Royal Naval Air Service

Died 10-DEC-16 (buried at Beauval Communal Cemetery)

Flight Sub-Lieutenant George Leonard Trapp

10th Sqdn., Royal Naval Air Service

Died 13-NOV-17 (buried at Dozinghem Military Cemetery)

Lieutenant Donovan Joseph Trapp

85th Sqdn., Royal Air Force

Died 19-JUL-18 (buried at ANZAC Cemetery, Saily-Sur-La-Lys)

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

post-1-1052081302.jpg

FSL S V Trapp of No 8 Sqn RNAS was killed in an aircraft accident when flying Sopwith Pup N5192 on 10 December 1916. The aircraft suffered a major structural failure at 150 feet when on a test flight from Vert Galant aerodrome.

FSL G L Trapp of No 10 Sqn RNAS was killed over Forthem-Dixmude on 12 November 1917 when Sopwith Camel B6341 broke up in the air while attacking an enemy two seater - a victory was credited to Oblt Bruno Justinius of Jasta 35b (this was Justinius's only victory during the War; he was killed in action on 30 January 1918). FSL Trapp had been credited with victories over Albatros D.Vs on 9 and 28 September when flying Camel B3882 and a shared two seater on 12 November when flying B6341 (the victory was shared with FSL A G Beattie, also of No 10 Sqn, flying B5659).

Lt D J Trapp of No 85 Sqn RAF was posted as Missing in Action on 19 July 1918 while on an Offensive Patrol in SE 5a E5940. He departed his aerodrome at 1700, and was last seen over Merville at 1730. The day before he crashed on landing in a strong gale while flying SE 5a C6482, but was apparently uninjured.

I hope this helps.

Dolphin

If you want further information post this on the Aerodrome web site. The guys there will tell you their collar and shoe sizes

Dolphin - Fantastic! Your information was more than I'd hoped for. Thanks a million.

Hedley - Thanks for your tip. Just checked out the Aerodrome site and will post the message on their forum.

Other than reading a couple of books about Billy Bishop, I haven't really paid much attention to the air war. Finding the memorial to these boys has opened up a new avenue of WW1 research.

Thanks again.

Mordac

With respect to your new area of interest, it might be worthwhile if you can obtain a copy of "Canadian Airmen and the First World War - The Official History of the Royal Canadian Air Force, Volume 1" by S F Wise, University of Toronto Press 1980 [iSBN 0 8020 2379 7].

There's lots of information in there to assist you with your research.

Cheers

Dolphin

Hi Dolphin:

Just added your suggestion to my 'must get' list of books. I'm going into Vancouver this Saturday to visit some used book stores and give my VISA card a workout. ^_^

• 1 year later...

Mordac

Something to add to your query.

The new publication from Osprey 'Sopwith Triplane Aces of World War I' by Norman Franks has a photograph of FSL George Trapp, plus some information on the Trapp brothers. I was interested to learn that the well known Canadian ace Major Ray Collishaw married the brothers' sister Neita.

The photograph of George is below.

Cheers

Gareth

post-1-1089965972.jpg

Hi,

And of course FORTHEM-DIXMUDE(DIKSMUIDE) is in Belgium(West Flanders) as is DOZINGHEM Mil CEM.

regards

Lawry

Hi Mordac

Here's a few things taken from, "The British Columbian", the "1914 Victory Edition 1919". It was printed in New Westminster. There's also a picture and an article on Lt.-Col. Collishaw. If you'd like I'd be happy to send it to you.

Best regards

HQ7

post-1-1089991143.jpg

Stanley Trapp:

post-1-1089991237.jpg

George Trapp:

post-1-1089991299.jpg

Donovan Trapp:

post-1-1089991345.jpg

• 4 years later...
Hi Mordac

Here's a few things taken from, "The British Columbian", the "1914 Victory Edition 1919". It was printed in New Westminster. There's also a picture and an article on Lt.-Col. Collishaw. If you'd like I'd be happy to send it to you.

Best regards

HQ7

Ray Collishaw was my cousin. Both his parents were Welsh, Dad from Wrexham, Clwyd and Mum Sarah Jones from Newport, Gwent but raised in the Garw Valley near Bridgend. I'm in contact with his GrandDaughter to this day. His mother emigrated with her two other sisters and worked a small farm out there. Sarah met Jack in the USA, probably in Oakland, California and married him and moved across the water to Vancouver.

If I may, I'd love to see the article too please.

David Jones

collie1917aol.com

Some records at the UK National Archives:

ADM 273/7 Page 294: Stanley Valentine Trapp. RNAS Officers Service 1914-1918

ADM 273/12 Page 185: George Leonard Trapp. RNAS Officers Service

Donavon's RAF service record is probably in AIR 76/512

These are not online, but you could request copies using their shop online facility.

These might be Donavon's army records WO 339/114908 TRAPP D

David, have you seen these files at the UK Nation Archives?

ADM 273/8 Page 147: Raymond Collishaw DSO, DSC. RNAS Officers Service

AIR 1/2387/228/11/40 An account by course students of war experiences: S/L. R. Collishaw.