Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skipman

This is the MIC of a Dr Norman MacKay, RAMC. I think wounded at some point and discharged? Need to see service record yet. As far as I know he returned to Aberfeldy and worked as a GP till he retired.

Why might he have refused SWB, and was it common to refuse the badge?

Edit 16:25, 14/1/2015 Also found this, not sure quite what it is yet, but useful. Click

fduce9.jpg

Mike

This indicates that he applied for an SWB and they refused to grant it....!

Ah! Thanks HG. I assumed a soldier would be wounded, discharged then automatic SWB. So how does this work?

Mike

Ah! Thanks HG. I assumed a soldier would be wounded, discharged then automatic SWB. So how does this work?

I was just posting an explanation, but Terry beat me to it! Essentially, the badge was issued to people who were discharged from the services under one of the various clauses listed in King's Regulations. The badge was instituted in 1916, so I *think* I'm correct in saying that anyone discharged previously had to apply. Your man probably applied on the basis that he understood it to be a 'War Service' badge, but it was refused either because he wasn't discharged during the war, or he was discharged (see the Medical Recruitment Scheme link that you posted) but only under the terms of his 'limited engagement' as an MO rather than due to wounds or sickness. Bearing in mind that conscription was in force from 1916 onwards, the Recruitment Scheme enables doctors to sign up for a year and be discharged after the period expired. Hopefully that made sense...!

Many thanks both. I will get his service record at some point. So would this man definitely have been wounded, or become physically unfit for duty due to war related service?

Mike

He was most likely time-expired (as per the arrangements for doctors in the RAMC as in Post 5) and therefore ineligible. If wounded and consequently discharged I am pretty sure that he would have qualified. Do you know the date of his discharge/handing in his hat? Presumably he had a temporary commission?

Many thanks both. I will get his service record at some point. So would this man definitely have been wounded, or become physically unfit for duty due to war related service?

Mike

No, there's a very high probability that he wasn't wounded or physically unfit - that'll be the reason for the badge being refused. He probably applied because he thought it was a 'war service' badge, or because he attributed a sickness or malaise to his army service but a Medical Board disagreed.

Regarding his service papers, I've researched a lot of MO's and there are very few papers left. No service files exist for AT LEAST three-quarters of the men I've researched. The few that I did find have been very sparse. Look by all means, but don't get your hopes up. Better to establish what professional bodies he belonged to (BMA, RCS, etc) and look for an obit in their journal. The Medical Directory (an annual publication in those days) should give a small biog. Local papers will generally cover the deaths of local GP's, and there will probably be a reference to his wartime service.

A quick Google tells me that he wrote a book called 'Aberfeldy; past & present', and that he died in 1961....!

Indeed he did. Quite famous around these parts. This is the signature of an Aberfeldy Doctor, who signed a letter written on behalf of an Aberfeldy officer on leave. I think this is Norman Douglas MacKay , though it could be John MacKay, his father who was also an Aberfeldy medical practitioner.

Is it John MacKay or N D MacKay?

2lj5og1.jpg

Mike

I'm seeing 'N.D. Mackay'. Can't see a 'J' or 'John'.

A well-known local character is bound to get a decent obit in the local paper!

Thanks, I think you're correct, just wanted confirmation.

Yes. Have had a look in the BNA but not found one. I will find more on him. Until tonight I had not looked into his service, indeed, was not sure he had served?

Mike

Mike,

According to the Edinburgh University Roll of Honour, he served in the R.A.M.C. from March 1915, at the 20th General Hospital and 1st London Scottish {I don't know if this refers to a Hospital or the Battalion}.

Regards,

Alf McM