Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

28939 Pte Cecil Greaves West Yorkshire Regiment

crodgers

Hi all

I am hoping someone can provided a spot of help with this fellow as I have run into a bit of a brick wall

I was lucky enough to find his pension records but they don't provide any information on which Battalion he was in and neither does his medal card....below is a a bit of a run down on what I have found so far

He enlisted on the 18th April 1916 in Leeds where he gave his occupation as Clerk/Musician.

On the 7th July 1917 Pte Greaves was buried by an explosion which ultimately resulted in a Hernia which required time spent in hospital in the UK, he managed to get the all important Blighty Wound.

He was operated on at the 58th General Hospital which operated out of St Omer from Aug 17 - March 1918 and moved to Bevan Military Hospital Sangate, Kent on the 3rd August 1917 through to 1st September 1917 (29 days) when he was moved to Couvent des Oiseaux, Westgate-on-Sea 1st September 1917 through to 5th October 1917 (34 days)

I would love to find out where we was when he got buried...I would imagine that would be a ghastly thing to happen.

If anybody can help I would love to here from you.

Thanks

Cam.

G'days Mark

That's Brilliant thanks. I did the ancestry search and the roll didn't appear......now off to locate a war diary etc to see where he was when he was injured.

Thanks again

Cam

Cam

Now there's another thing! Enlisted April 1916 and discharged to Class Z Reserve on 19.4.1918.I was expecting to see a Silver War Badge discharge for such a short period of service,but none listed. Was there a 2 year service posting ? I doubt it.War Diary here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14017267

Cam

Now there's another thing! Enlisted April 1916 and discharged to Class Z Reserve on 19.4.1918.I was expecting to see a Silver War Badge discharge for such a short period of service,but none listed. Was there a 2 year service posting ? I doubt it.War Diary here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14017267

The Pension records give the date of discharge as 19 April 1919 - the Medal Index Card and Medal Rolls say 1918 but this must be an error as, according to the Long Long Trail, the Class Z Reserve wasn't created until 3 December 1918.

For nearly a month after a raid carried out by the 2nd West Yorkshire's, (night of 24th/25th June), the Battalion remained out of the line. It was not until the 23rd July that the 2nd West Yorkshire's sent two companies to the line, "A" and "C" Companies respectively. "B" and "D" moving to the 'Esplanade,' Ypres.

I see that Cecil's address is given as Woodhouse, Leeds, St. Marks Lodge on his pension details. I wonder if this is one and the same, that is, St. Marks House, the Gatehouse shown in the following link:

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=200265_3380984

Best wishes.

Chris.

On the 7th July, the Battalion were at Audrehem under training. I have the entries from the War Diary if you would find them of some interest Cam. Just drop me a PM.

Best wishes.

Chris.