Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Irish Horse Reg Numbers

Don

Hello Pals ,

I am researching a Man from the SIH. I have a good bit on him except when he enlisted, His number was 1670. I am guessing 1916 as he has no 15 star

But if any one had the enlistment dates for SIH ,I would be v grateful

Regards

Gerry

1659 9 Nov 1915

1672 10 Nov 1915

thus a bit tight for him to collect a Star !

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Rathmines___Rathgar_East/Albany_Terrace/48837/

(Initially buried in) Bottom Wood Cemetery, (CWGC). Dublin Charles Annesley Kinnear Second Lieutenant Royal Field Artillery 50th Brigade 16/10/1916 19 Dublin (IMR+Census) Killed in action at Fricourt (IMR). Irish Independent, August, 23-1919…Irish National War Memorial…Subscriptions….Mr and Mrs Samuel Kinnear and family, “In fond and loving memory of Charlie.” Mem.9 Danzig Alley British Cemetery Mametz in France.

South Irish Horse number was 1670.

Dublin James Kinnear Private Royal Irish Regiment 7th (South Irish Horse) Battalion. 25460 13/12/1917 42 Kilbarrack, County Dublin Dublin Kilbarrack, County Dublin Died of wounds Son of Mrs. Kinnear, of North Circular Road, Dublin; Husband of Sarah Annie Kirmear (sic), of Mary Ville Lodge, Howth Road, Raheny, County Dublin. IV. B. 28. Tincourt New British Cemetery in France.

Sotonmate and Tom your both fantastic that’s brilliant. Thank you

I wonder are those Kinnear’s related. From my research I came across an insert from Terence Denman’s book that 22 Men were killed and over 40 wound when a shell hit their Billets in St Emile on the 13th Dec 17 and not on the 12th.Do you think that I can take that Pte Kinnear was one of them.

I am researching Men and Women from Raheny and Environs and I am sending a weekly column to a local news letter (The Raheny News) “Remembering the Raheny War dead”.

If it is okay with both of you, can I acknowledge your help. I will scan in a copy for you next Monday.

Regards

Gerry

Not a bother Gerry, If you look at the Census it indicates they may be brothers.

Cheers.

Tom.

JK died of wounds at one of the CCSs based at Tincourt,hence his burial there.

Can't be sure that he died as a result of the shell,though likely,you may have to get confirmation from the War Diary,digital and here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353642

Thank you Sotonmate, I have check the war diary and there is no mention of him. The fact that he died from wounds could have been from the shell I am presuming

Regards

Gerry

• 1 month later...

Hi,

As to his enlistment date I can only give you a rough guide because there were several recruiting stations issuing numbers at the same time. On the 5th Nov 1915 we have the following numbers being issued, 1611, 1628, 1677, 1678, and 1680 then on the 8th nov 1915 we have 1625, 1642, and 1694 . on the 9th Nov 1915 we have 1644, 1653, and 1659, on the 10th nov 1915 we have 1672 but on the 11th Nov 1915 we have the following, 1667, 1669, 1756 then on the 13th Nov 1915 we have 1691 so the numbers seem to be all over the place, suffice to say some time in November..

Twenty three men died on the 12th Dec 1917 five on the 13th Dec 1917 and one on the 14th Dec 1917, their names are given below. if you require any further detail or explanation please email me via my web site;

www.southirishhorse.com

:angry2: this was a nice list in order when i pasted it in... :devilgrin:

Full Name Cemetry Grave Position COLEMAN Patrick Templeux-le-Guerard II H 32 DUGGAN Martin MSM Templeux-le-Guerard II H 33 SWIFTE Albert Templeux-le-Guerard II G 44 O'DEA Daniel Joseph Templeux-le-Guerard II H 28 THOMPSON Arthur Templeux-le-Guerard II G 40 CONLON Andrew Templeux-le-Guerard II H 29 COFFEY Thomas Villers-Faucon I C 19 SHEA Patrick Templeux-le-Guerard II H 27 GIBSON Robert Templeux-le-Guerard II G 45 FARRELL Edward Templeux-le-Guerard II G 42 MURRAY George Turkington Templeux-le-Guerard II G 41 CLYNCH Joseph Villers-Faucon I C 20 COLLEARY John Templeux-le-Guerard II H 35 CONDON John Templeux-le-Guerard II H 26 SMITH John Thomas Templeux-le-Guerard II G 39 O'SHEA John Templeux-le-Guerard II H 30 BATEMAN Samuel Templeux-le-Guerard II H 34 BURKE Michael Templeux-le-Guerard II H 31 MCCARTHY Fred Templeux-le-Guerard II H 37 MCCARTHY Timothy Templeux-le-Guerard II H 33 MCDONALD Joseph Templeux-le-Guerard II H 38 KELLY Richard Templeux-le-Guerard II G 38 JACKSON John D Templeux-le-Guerard II G 43 MOLLISON Charles E Villers-Faucon I C 22 CASEY Joseph Tincourt IV B 32 KINNEAR James Tincourt IV. B. 28. IV B 28 KENDALL Cecil Villers-Faucon I C 21 DE RUYTER Philip Tincourt IV B 33 MCCABE William Tincourt III G 4

Edited by vaugh

• 1 year later...

Kinnears MM is displayed in the County Tipperary County museum in Clonmel

My Sister works there also from Raheny like myself, a small world indeed.

IMG_20160903_120819.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi Don,

I've just come across your post. Turns out we are both researching the same James Kinnear who was my Great Great Grandfather.

I actually got his medals from my uncle in California a few days ago and have been researching using the details from the medals.

Please pm me if possible as I'd love to chat to you about it.

Thanks

Cathal