Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Bn Rifle Brigade - 1 September 1916

helpjpl

I'd be very grateful if a kind soul with access to the 3rd Bn Rifle Brigade diary can do a look-up for 1 September 1916. I don't expect him to be mentioned but a relation, Lance Serjeant Z/1461 John Harris Marlow, died that day.

Many thanks

JP

before you look at the diary - how did he die ? It it was wounds the war diary entry (if there is one) could be weeks apart

before you look at the diary - how did he die ? It it was wounds the war diary entry (if there is one) could be weeks apart

Sadly, I don't know how he died and I've been unable to locate any military records for him. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial so I assumed he was KIA on 01/09/1916.

JP

The 3rd RB were involved in an attack that day

1/9/16: "Battalion make an attack and successfully retake trenches lost in Delville Wood, heavy casualties (killed 1 officer and 31 other ranks) (missing 6 other ranks) (wounded 167 other ranks)

2/9/16: Battalion moved back into reserve trenches.

Andy

The 3rd RB were involved in an attack that day

1/9/16: "Battalion make an attack and successfully retake trenches lost in Delville Wood, heavy casualties (killed 1 officer and 31 other ranks) (missing 6 other ranks) (wounded 167 other ranks)

2/9/16: Battalion moved back into reserve trenches.

Andy

Thank you very much for that.

I'm really sorry to be a pain but I'd be very grateful if you can also look up the diary for 31 August 1916. According to List of Fallen , which I found a few minutes ago, 'It was reported in the Hants and Berks Gazette of 23rd September 1916 that John was shot and wounded "whilst going into action with his gun". Though unable to keep up with his men after that he followed them the best he could but was found dead the next day.'

JP

31/8/16

Camp in swamp day spent moving to new ground. In camp during day sudden orders were received to move at 7.30pm. Battalion goes up and takes up position in support.

Andy

Andrew Buxton's memorial book (3rd RB) states that he was out of the fight on the 1/9/16 the book just says the following:-

"During the few days that Andrew was away at Rest Camp the battalion was given yet another bit of work to do, which it accomplished successfully. Andrew did not at all like being out of it. His diary records (September 1, 1916): "The battalion had gone up towards Montauban ........ to get back lost trenches E. of Delville Wood. At 6.30pm ..........(September 2, 1916) we got objective. Very tantalizing being away from the Company. Dunnage killed; Vernede and Chamberlain hit, so all five officers in "C" Coy now gone. The Battalion and Division come out tomorrow.

He rejoined the Battalion on the 4th September.

Andy

Can't add a lot from Vernede's Memorial book as he was hit during the action on 1/9/16 but he has this to say regarding the 31/8/16 and 2/9/16.

31/8/16:

No letter from you yesterday. We had a thunderstorm yesterday - tropical rain - with the result that all the tents got flooded. Ours being pitched on old horse lines, we spent the day on liquid manure, which does tend to make things any cleaner - or oneself. In the evening we moved to this camp. I rode the Coy. horse till I was stiff with cold, after which I walked. We dined about midnight, and are this morning shifting our tent again.

Buxton is still away, but the padre is still with us - i.e. C. and self - so are flies and other bougs!. I fear the damp wont make the country or the men any healthier, as it washes the dirt about and probably gets into water supplies. I am afraid we shall have some working parties the next few days, but I ought to have time to write to you.

Please order a new Aquascutum, I have lost my other and don't see a chance of getting one out here."

2/9/16:

"A pleasing Blighty one at last, and almost before you get this I shall, with luck, be in Angleterre with you coming to see me. It's shrapnel through the thigh, and hasn't been pronounced on yet by the medical authorities, who have to extract a bit of iron that didn't go quite through. But as I plunked through the trenches knee deep in mire for six hours afterwards, more or less, it can't be very bad; and I ought to get back before you can think of coming here. I got it in another show suddenly forced upon us, in which I was in charge of "C" Coy., with C. as only subaltern. A shell plumped neatly between six of us, killed Sgt. Oliver and hit the rest in Drivers Way. It was rather a funny sensation. I thought I'd been bruised. Handed over to C., who a little later got badly hit in the arm. So "C" Coy., when I last heard of it, is without officers - three platoon sergeants knocked out - two killed - both awfully nice fellows, and A., rather badly hit.

Haven't had a meal since lunch yesterday, and now it's lunch today; advanced to the attack in the full height of an attack of sickness and a temperature up. All the troops are that, but I never expected to be. It was very awkward.

Will let you know as quick as quick.

A Chaplain is addressing this.

Buxton was killed with the 3rd RB later in the war, and Vernede was posted to another battalion of the RB after recovering from this wound, he was KIA also later in the war.

Andy

Can't add a lot from Vernede's Memorial book as he was hit during the action on 1/9/16 but he has this to say regarding the 31/8/16 and 2/9/16.

31/8/16:

No letter from you yesterday. We had a thunderstorm yesterday - tropical rain - with the result that all the tents got flooded. Ours being pitched on old horse lines, we spent the day on liquid manure, which does tend to make things any cleaner - or oneself. In the evening we moved to this camp. I rode the Coy. horse till I was stiff with cold, after which I walked. We dined about midnight, and are this morning shifting our tent again.

Buxton is still away, but the padre is still with us - i.e. C. and self - so are flies and other bougs!. I fear the damp wont make the country or the men any healthier, as it washes the dirt about and probably gets into water supplies. I am afraid we shall have some working parties the next few days, but I ought to have time to write to you.

Please order a new Aquascutum, I have lost my other and don't see a chance of getting one out here."

2/9/16:

"A pleasing Blighty one at last, and almost before you get this I shall, with luck, be in Angleterre with you coming to see me. It's shrapnel through the thigh, and hasn't been pronounced on yet by the medical authorities, who have to extract a bit of iron that didn't go quite through. But as I plunked through the trenches knee deep in mire for six hours afterwards, more or less, it can't be very bad; and I ought to get back before you can think of coming here. I got it in another show suddenly forced upon us, in which I was in charge of "C" Coy., with C. as only subaltern. A shell plumped neatly between six of us, killed Sgt. Oliver and hit the rest in Drivers Way. It was rather a funny sensation. I thought I'd been bruised. Handed over to C., who a little later got badly hit in the arm. So "C" Coy., when I last heard of it, is without officers - three platoon sergeants knocked out - two killed - both awfully nice fellows, and A., rather badly hit.

Haven't had a meal since lunch yesterday, and now it's lunch today; advanced to the attack in the full height of an attack of sickness and a temperature up. All the troops are that, but I never expected to be. It was very awkward.

Will let you know as quick as quick.

A Chaplain is addressing this.

Buxton was killed with the 3rd RB later in the war, and Vernede was posted to another battalion of the RB after recovering from this wound, he was KIA also later in the war.

Andy

Many thanks for all your help. I shall try to get hold of the newspaper article, which I can't find on fmp, to see if there is more detail.

JP