Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12 r.i.r pows in ww1

henrymarvcw

Hi,this is my first time of asking for help,i was wondering if anyone can help me solve my problem this was my wifes great uncle his name was Samuel Osborne McCosh and his army number was 18145 and he was in the 12 Royal Irish Rifles in ww1 the records that i have found are a pow record for i think it is Mannheim 26 June 1918 and it says he was taken prisoner on the 21/03/1918 at St Quentin but i have found another record for Irelands Memorial Records 1914/ 1918 and it says he was killed in action on the 19 June 1918 in France i know it is the same person as the army numbers are the same and he was born in Lisburn,What i would like to know is how could he be a POW in the March in Germany but be killed in action in France in the June.Thanks Henry. ps i hope i have put this on right page

McCOSH, S O
Rank: Lance Corporal Service No: 12/18145 Date of Death: 19/06/1918 Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Rifles 12th Bn. Grave Reference: I. J. 16. Cemetery: NIEDERZWEHREN CEMETERY, KASSEL

Cemetery is Germany--he almost certainly died of wounds received during his capture--large numbers of 12th Rifles captured on 21/03/1918--Irish memorial records--very good. but numerous mistakes

wesley wright

I would have thought his POW record would show him as being at a Lazarett if he died of wounds in the battle. Many of them also state if they were wounded at the time of capture or 'unver.' as an abbreviation for unwounded at time of capture.

Hi Seaforths ,i have only just seen this post,it says on his pow record ??? Avenues underneath where it says 21/03/18 St Quentin it is in column 5 but it does not say if he was injured or not.Thanks Henry

Hi Seaforths ,i have only just seen this post,it says on his pow record ??? Avenues underneath where it says 21/03/18 St Quentin it is in column 5 but it does not say if he was injured or not.Thanks Henry

Hi Henry

Laz Avesnes - Military Hospital Avesnes - that is where he was taken to after they captured him so yes, wounded. I am just looking at the totenlist (those that died) but unfortunately not very clear and I'm not on my PC but it looks like Kr. Gef. Laz Mannheim - Prisoner of war hospital (Kriegsgefangene Lazarett Mannheim). His cause of death I cannot see clearly either but it looks like 'Lungenenzudung'. You might be able to see it better than I can if you are on a PC and type it into Google translator.

'Lungenentzündung' is pneumonia.

Vielen danke. I thought it might be that and it didn't help that it looks like the 4th n was overtyped with another z (or that could be my eyes). It is one I've come across before but not being on my PC, I couldn't check. I should have also added I'm without my specs as well. I've just noticed I previously put unver instead unverw as the abbreviation for unwounded. If I can find my specs, I will be a happier bunny!

Interesting that when I've come across it before, they haven't bothered to translate it properly on the British death certs I obtained before the ICRC records were released. The ones I have state 'Lung trouble' or simply 'Died'.