Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
egbert

CWGC during WW2- cemetery identification, Boulogne?

johnboy

Thanks for your input. Now we have to see if the OP accepts the location!

Edited by Keith Roberts

Simon Brown

Oh I understood your post!

Be interesting to see if it is Sanctuary Wood btw

Bit of a sidetrack but some of the archive German film is terrific stuff

johnboy

Thanks.

tootrock

I am sure Michelle is correct. This from Google Street View.

Martin

post-2425-0-77990700-1421536838_thumb.jp

egbert

So Michelle solved the mystery with great help from Martin . Thanks also to everybody for your support to identify this cemetery. I will email today to the owner of the film the identified location- Sanctuary Wood cemetery. Yesterday he told me on other identification issues that he is very grateful for any positive identifications and will add them to the film description.

Edited by Keith Roberts

River97

Well, there you go, and I've been there too. Nice to see the mystery solved.

Cheers Andy.

egbert

APPEAL

In case someone had been inspired by this individual film roll and views, watches the other hundreds of film rolls, please let me know when you come across of German provisional war graves in Russia or Ukraine. It my be the missing evidence for finding lost temporary war graves which today have been totally lost. The Volksbund makes every effort to identify lost war graves before memories fade.

I.E. I have sent them the link of two cemeteries shown in film roll 44 for which they were very grateful and they try to locate these places with their grave tracing services. The goal is the proper relocation of lost war graves to a VdK maintained concentration camp in Russia or Ukraine.

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

... Whether CWGC gardeners have been called back by the British government in May 1940 or not. It has no impact on my observation. I think you shall not misinterpret the film sequence only because your Gr Grandfather cared for CWGC cemeteries under occupation.

The fact is that the film has been put on negative sometime between end of May, the days when Calais were taken, and the armistice in June 22nd. Also, the following film sequences from the same roll allow the pretty exact timing.

So we are talking here of a scene that was filmed sometime in June 1940. Do you really want to put me up and try to convince me that the shrubs, weeds, trees and partially overgrown graves grow within 2-4 weeks?

Here is the first page (of 15) of a first-hand report of the IWGC staff escape from the Ypres district. IWGC gardeners and their families were getting out by the skin of their teeth - many didn't make it - some died in German hands. There are boxes of related material in the CWGC archives.

post-108-0-22721000-1423174995_thumb.jpg

Tom

egbert

Here is the first page (of 15) of a first-hand report of the IWGC staff escape from the Ypres district. IWGC gardeners and their families were getting out by the skin of their teeth - many didn't make it - some died in German hands. There are boxes of related material in the CWGC archives.

attachicon.gifGWF escape from the Huns.JPG

Tom

Please do not stray away from the film observation. In case you have posted your reply prematurely before reading my post from 15 Jan -here it is again:

........Whether CWGC gardeners have been called back by the British government in May 1940 or not. It has no impact on my observation............

.......The fact is that the film has been put on negative sometime between end of May, the days when Calais was taken, and the armistice in June 22nd. Also, the following film sequences from the same roll allow the pretty exact timing.

So we are talking here of a scene that was filmed sometime in June 1940. Do you really want to put me up and try to convince me that the shrubs, weeds, trees and partially overgrown graves grow within 2-4 weeks? Edit: It looks more like a year or so that the cemetery was not maintained

I have posted 1940 pictures on GWF of CWGC Merville, taken by my father (see my Grandfathers thread here on GWF). My father was the first German officer visiting this cemetery in May 1940 during the fightings and combat around Merville. The pictures show that this CWGC cemetery also is not in a good shape, the day the first German troops came to town!

The German Army directive has been discussed elsewhere here and it is known that the Germans honored all cemeteries of their foes. They did not hinder the work of CWGC gardeners.......

What I also would like to understand is the IWGC procedure for maintaining the cemeteries after the withdrawals of some of their gardeners. Did they contract out to French gardeners or were the cemeteries left to their's own fate/care?

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

.... the IWGC procedure for maintaining the cemeteries after the withdrawals of some of their gardeners. Did they contract out to French gardeners or were the cemeteries left to their's own fate/care?

There is a substantial volume of material in the archives which relates to the Commission's WW2 withdrawal from the continent, - so far I have only skimmed through the boxes to try to get a feel for what is there, and what I have seen so far points to a pretty complicated situation. One surprising and recurring theme is a suggestion that IWGC staff should be enlisted into the army; the RE seemed to be a favoured suggestion, with gardeners becoming Sappers and head gardeners Sergeants. The purpose of this wasn't immediately clear, though the Commission seems to have been keen to generate an air of authority in its dealings with the French and Belgian authorities. A good proportion of the Commission's continental office staff were ex-military and it was proposed(*) that they should resume their discharge rank and wear uniform. (*I'm not yet clear as to what extent this was implemented).

With regards to continuation of maintenance there seem to be several issues, however in the main, there was no realistic possibility of sub-contracting anything to anybody unless there was an administrative structure in place to direct and pay (etc etc) said contractors, and such an administrative structure was not going to exist because the entire administration was, by necessity, to be evacuated.

Tom