Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ayr & Lanark Yeomanry

neil black

Hi.

Ihave been researching my grandfather who was a T/F soldier of the above yeomanry ,a coal miner by trade in tarbolton Ayrshire.

(1) Thier first action was with yhe 52 Lowland Div (Gallipoli.

(2)Then with the 74th Yeomanry Egypt/Palistine.

(3) Finally with 31st Div France/Flanders .

If there are any photographs outthere (groups) wth names of who is in them would be appreciated.

its a long shot i know but would appreciate any help or direction or help where i might find any.

N Black.

Hi Neil,

Could you give us your grandfather's name,please?

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

My grandfather was Robert Macfarlane, born in 1884 in Tarbolton, Ayrshire.

The details on his marriage certificate in 1918 were Private, 12th Royal Scots Fusiliers. I don't have his MIC document or his Army Service No.

Thanks for your interest, Neil.

There is a Robert McFarlane on the medal rolls - serving with the 1/1st Lanarkshire Yeomanry (2204) and then with the 12th RSF (295885). He disembarked at Gallipoli on 11th October 1915, and was demobbed on 22nd January 1919. Sound like your man?

Barrie

I had come across this chap in the Lanarkshire Yeomanry as well(in the Yeoman magazine - he seems to have been a talented footballer),but assumed that as Neil's grandfather came from Tarbolton,he would have been in the Ayrshire Yeomanry.

However,I found a Private Robert McFarlane,Royal Scots Fusiliers,on a Medal Card index with the number 18154.I might be wrong,but I don't think that that number would be given to someone who had come from the Ayrshire (or Lanarkshire) Yeomanry.Having a look at the Card might give a bit more information on his Service details,I would think.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi Chris

The Robert McFarlane, 18154, looks to have served with the 2nd RSF; no mention of any service with either Yeomanry regiment or the 12th RSF. I'm intrigued about The Yeoman magazine - was this exclusive to the Lanarkshire Yeomanry or did it serve all Yeomanry regiments? Do you know what years it covers?

All the best

Barrie

I had come across this chap in the Lanarkshire Yeomanry as well(in the Yeoman magazine - he seems to have been a talented footballer),but assumed that as Neil's grandfather came from Tarbolton,he would have been in the Ayrshire Yeomanry.

However,I found a Private Robert McFarlane,Royal Scots Fusiliers,on a Medal Card index with the number 18154.I might be wrong,but I don't think that that number would be given to someone who had come from the Ayrshire (or Lanarkshire) Yeomanry.Having a look at the Card might give a bit more information on his Service details,I would think.

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks, I'll check up on it and get back to you, Neil.

There is a Robert McFarlane on the medal rolls - serving with the 1/1st Lanarkshire Yeomanry (2204) and then with the 12th RSF (295885). He disembarked at Gallipoli on 11th October 1915, and was demobbed on 22nd January 1919. Sound like your man?

Barrie

Thanks Barrie, I'll check up on that information and get back to you, Neil.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi again

Chris the yeoman magazine does it have a publishers name like d.c. thomson ltd for e g.Neil.

Barrie

Hi Barrie,

Your information is looking very hopeful. As I am a member of ancestry I have looked up 2204 and 295885 and one complements the other. I will do further research on the Lanark Yeomanry No. 2204 to see if there is an address for his involvement in the Territorial Forces as he would have been a part-time soldier at that time.

Many thanks, Neil.

Hi Neil and Barrie,

"Yeoman" was short-lived magazine published in 1914 and 1915,and I think that there was only three editions (the editorial claimed that the next edition would be published "in Berlin"!).I only have the last two,and these were sent home by my grandmother's brother,Sjt.George Jackson of the Glasgow Yeomanry.It was printed by Westwood & Sons,Cupar,Fife,and it was the magazine for the Ayrshire Yeomanry,Lanarkshire Yeomanry,Lothians and Border Horse,and the Queen's Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry.All four of these Territorial Regiments were mobilised in August 1914,and Garrisoned shortly after under canvas through at Cupar,Fife (and nearby),where they underwent training and coastal defence.There are very few photographs of soldiers in the magazines,but a number of posed group shots of the officers.The article that I found relating to Robert McFarlane (possibly) is in the edition of 19th March 1915,and reads as follows:

FINAL OF BRIGADE FOOTBALL

LANARKSHIRE YEOMANRY ("F"Squadron) v.AYRSHIRE YEOMANRY (1st Service Squadron).

"After this match had taken place twice,once at Ladybank and once at Tarvit,without result,they met finally at Ladybank to play what turned out to be the deciding issue.The weather was splendid,and the Lanark boys had a large following with them from Cupar to witness a match in which the teams were again very evenly matched.The Ayrshire left wing was causing the visiting defence a lot of trouble,but Crosby was in good form at right half,and so accounted pretty well for the home team's most dangerous wing.A very hard first half finished without a goal being scored.

In the second half both teams opened briskly,the home goal running narrow escapes from Goldie,M'FARLANE,and Weir.By this time both teams were beginning to show signs of wear and tear after their very hard first half.However,the Lanarks seemed to be lasting the pace better than their opponents.About ten minutes before the finish a corner fell to the visitors,and Penman placed it nicely into goal for M'FARLANE to head into the net well out of the goalkeeper's reach,and so won the game for Lanarkshire after being twice replayed.Result - LANARKSHIRE,1 goal,AYRSHIRE nil."

Teams:

LANARKSHIRE - Morrison,Wallace,Johnstone,Crosby,Lively,Crighton,Penman,M'FARLANE,Goldie,Weir,Jamieson.

AYRSHIRE - Gibson,Smith,Graham,M'Laughlin,Robinson,Johnstone,Neilson,Smith,Neisbet,Fraser,Warden.

Regards,

Chris.

Glasgow.

Chris, that's fascinating, thanks for taking the time to post the extract, and for the background on the magazine. My great grandfather was in the Lanarkshire Yeomanry in the early '20s having previously served in the 11th Hussars, so I have a bit of an interest in the Regiment. I also work for the museum service of South Lanarkshire and we have a few bits and bobs from the Lanarkshire Yeomanry, so the magazine intrigued me from a work point of view as well.

Thanks again and all the best

Barrie

P.S. Neil, sorry for hi-jacking the thread! Good luck with the research :thumbsup:

Neil, I actually just checked the 1/1st Lanarkshire Yeomanry war diary - it includes a very helpful roll of all ranks who embarked for overseas service, and is dated 27th September 1915. 2204 Pte. R. McFarlane is listed under the 'Roll of Machine Gun Section attached to "A" Squadron'. Hope that helps!

Barrie

Hi Neil and Barrie,

"Yeoman" was short-lived magazine published in 1914 and 1915,and I think that there was only three editions (the editorial claimed that the next edition would be published "in Berlin"!).I only have the last two,and these were sent home by my grandmother's brother,Sjt.George Jackson of the Glasgow Yeomanry.It was printed by Westwood & Sons,Cupar,Fife,and it was the magazine for the Ayrshire Yeomanry,Lanarkshire Yeomanry,Lothians and Border Horse,and the Queen's Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry.All four of these Territorial Regiments were mobilised in August 1914,and Garrisoned shortly after under canvas through at Cupar,Fife (and nearby),where they underwent training and coastal defence.There are very few photographs of soldiers in the magazines,but a number of posed group shots of the officers.The article that I found relating to Robert McFarlane (possibly) is in the edition of 19th March 1915,and reads as follows:

FINAL OF BRIGADE FOOTBALL

LANARKSHIRE YEOMANRY ("F"Squadron) v.AYRSHIRE YEOMANRY (1st Service Squadron).

"After this match had taken place twice,once at Ladybank and once at Tarvit,without result,they met finally at Ladybank to play what turned out to be the deciding issue.The weather was splendid,and the Lanark boys had a large following with them from Cupar to witness a match in which the teams were again very evenly matched.The Ayrshire left wing was causing the visiting defence a lot of trouble,but Crosby was in good form at right half,and so accounted pretty well for the home team's most dangerous wing.A very hard first half finished without a goal being scored.

In the second half both teams opened briskly,the home goal running narrow escapes from Goldie,M'FARLANE,and Weir.By this time both teams were beginning to show signs of wear and tear after their very hard first half.However,the Lanarks seemed to be lasting the pace better than their opponents.About ten minutes before the finish a corner fell to the visitors,and Penman placed it nicely into goal for M'FARLANE to head into the net well out of the goalkeeper's reach,and so won the game for Lanarkshire after being twice replayed.Result - LANARKSHIRE,1 goal,AYRSHIRE nil."

Teams:

LANARKSHIRE - Morrison,Wallace,Johnstone,Crosby,Lively,Crighton,Penman,M'FARLANE,Goldie,Weir,Jamieson.

AYRSHIRE - Gibson,Smith,Graham,M'Laughlin,Robinson,Johnstone,Neilson,Smith,Neisbet,Fraser,Warden.

Regards,

Chris.

Glasgow.

Hi Chris,

I am very grateful for all the information you have supplied and I feel we are on the right track.

I have been in touch with Fife Archives, Markinch and they confirm that the magazine was printed but they have no copies on file but recommend that I contact the Cupar Heritage Group which I may do later as they are presently closed for winter and are due to open in April.

The football players mentioned for the Lanark team which include R Macfarlane also contains a Jamieson who I think may be grandfather's brother-in-law from Sanquhar but that's only a guess at the moment, (my grandfather married an Elizabeth Jamieson from there who died after the birth of their son in 1910).

Kind regards, Neil.

Neil, I actually just checked the 1/1st Lanarkshire Yeomanry war diary - it includes a very helpful roll of all ranks who embarked for overseas service, and is dated 27th September 1915. 2204 Pte. R. McFarlane is listed under the 'Roll of Machine Gun Section attached to "A" Squadron'. Hope that helps!

Barrie

Hi Barrie,

Thank you for your help with the info regarding dates of embarkation etc. I found Chris' articles on football teams in the magazine the Yeoman very enlightening and there's a possibility that another member of the Lanark team Jamieson could have been my grandfather's brother-in-law John Jamieson. Grandfather's first wife was a Jamieson from Sanquhar, she died following the birth of their son Matthew in 1910. I now know how he met my grandmother, she lived in Largo not so far away from Cupar.

Kind regards, Neil.

Hi Neil,

The Mitchell Library in Glasgow hold a copy of the three editions of "The Yeoman".If you are ever through in the city,you should be able to access a look at them in the Department on the 5th Floor.

Cheer,

Chris.

Barrie

Hi Barrier,

many thanks for your help regarding the lanark yeomanry.

I must try to get down to hamilton to the museum.

Best regards.

Neil.

• 4 months later...

I am "Chairman" of "Masonic Lodge Coupar o' Fife No. 19",in Cupar.Fife,Scotland.We are researching our "WW1 Rollo of Honour" which has 143 names.Many are "Ayrshire" or "Lanarkshire" Yeomanry.Some were billted in our Masonic Hall.We have some photos from the period, and other information.

I am "Chairman" of "Masonic Lodge Coupar o' Fife No. 19",in Cupar.Fife,Scotland.We are researching our "WW1 Rollo of Honour" which has 143 names.Many are "Ayrshire" or "Lanarkshire" Yeomanry.Some were billted in our Masonic Hall.We have some photos from the period, and other information.

Hi Douglas, My grandfather Robert MacFarlane was a Private in the Lanarkshire Yeomanry who were training in Cupar in Fife from August 1914 to Sept 1915. He was in the 1st Lanarkshire Yeomanry and survived WW1 and returned to Fife where he married my grandmother who was from Largo. His army number was 2204. I would be interested in any photos you might have. I've heard he scored the winning goal in a football march with Ayrshire Yeomanry in 1915 if that's any help.

Regards, Neil.

Hi Neil,

Thank you.

We don't have a "Robert McFarlane" on our "Roll of Honour".

I've seen a report of that football game, and I have an extract printed off.Can't lay my hands on it right now, but when I find it I'll gladly give you a copy if you wish per E mail.I'm "Dougie5318@Yahoo.co.uk".

We have a few photos,which have yet to be collated and published.We need to do that prior to our Lodge "Doors Open Day" on Sunday 6 September.

My late Mother-"Elizabeth McGonigal" hailed from "Seafield" and I have relations in West Calder,Polbeth,Armadale an Bathgate.I also collect material related to them.

KR

Douglas

• 3 years later...
  • Admin

Dear Robert,

I recommend starting a new thread about him in the Soldiers section where it will receive more attention.

Michelle 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for any mention of a Thomas McQueen 3/1st Lanarkshire Yeomanry circa 1914 and what may have become of him during the war.