Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Before Endeavours Fade" by Rose Coombs

The Scorer

What is the latest edition of this, please?

I've come across one which was apparently published in 2006, but which incudes details of the Fromelles Cemetery which opened in 2010. Is this the latest one, or is there another?

Thank you.

The catalogue I use for checking things like this, http://copac.ac.uk/, does indeed have "12th revised edition, 2006", as its latest edition (Old Harlow : Battle of Britain International Ltd).

Can't account for the 2010 material unless there is another unrecorded issue; does it have, on the back of the title page, "reissued 2010" or any such thing?

sJ

• Admin

I have a prized autographed copy of the 5th Edition (July 1986) which describes Fromelles

Have you actually read the entry?

In my copy it refers to the VC Corner Australian Memorial and Cemetery not the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Cemetery constructed in 2010.

See the AWM for a comprehensive history of the cemetery http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/fromelles/

Ken

Obviously, from their Amazon blurb, they put in some extra material to the completely revised edition after the inauguration of the new cemetery at Fromelles in 2010 - I have a copy of this newest version back in the UK somewhere.

"After the Battle's" editor, Karel Margry, has travelled every route, checking and revising the text where necessary, as well as re-photographing every memorial. Many new ones have been added, including the new cemetery at Fromelles inaugurated in July 2010, yet we have striven to keep true to the flavour of Rose's original concept...before endeavours fade."

Obviously, from their Amazon blurb, they put in some extra material to the completely revised edition after the inauguration of the new cemetery at Fromelles in 2010 - I have a copy of this newest version back in the UK somewhere.

"After the Battle's" editor, Karel Margry, has travelled every route, checking and revising the text where necessary, as well as re-photographing every memorial. Many new ones have been added, including the new cemetery at Fromelles inaugurated in July 2010, yet we have striven to keep true to the flavour of Rose's original concept...before endeavours fade."

Thanks; this is the Amazon review that I've seen today.

I was confused how a version from 2006 could have information dating from 2010. I think that I saw this edition in the "In Flanders Fields" shop last September and thought about buying it then ... maybe now is the time?!

I've just looked at the After the Battle web site, and this is what they say:

"More info

COMPLETELY REVISED AND ENLARGED EDITION

NOW INCLUDING A SUPPLEMENT ON FROMELLES

Published October 2010

From the Belgian coast, across the fields of Flanders, over the valley of the Somme and down the line to the Argonne: all the major battlefields of the First World War - Ypres, Arras, Cambrai, Amiens, St Quentin, Mons, Le Cateau, Reims, Verdun and St Mihiel - are criss-crossed in this book over more than thirty different routes, each clearly shown on a Michelin map. Every significant feature is described in detail. Indispensable for anyone contemplating a tour of the battlefields in Belgium and France, this book combines the years of knowledge, travel and research of its author, Rose Coombs, who worked at the Imperial War Museum in London for nearly forty years. Since her death in 1991, After the Battle's Editor, Karel Margry, has travelled every route, checking and revising the text where necessary, as well as re-photographing every memorial. Many new ones have been added, including the new cemetery at Fromelles inaugurated in July 2010, yet we have striven to keep true to the flavour of Rose's original concept . . . before endeavours fade.

SIZE 12" × 8½"

240 PAGES

OVER 850 ILLUSTRATIONS

SOFT COVER ISBN 1 870067 62 2

£19.95

CODE F001."

I think that I'll be buying it through Amazon, though!

• Admin

Yes but have you read the entry in the 2006 edition which is what your original question was about, not the revised 2010 edition which was the one cited by Nigel?

Ken

Yes but have you read the entry in the 2006 edition which is what your original question was about, not the revised 2010 edition which was the one cited by Nigel?

Ken

No, I haven't - but I was asking whether the 2006 version was the latest version, but it obviously isn't, as it's been replaced by the 2010 version. Or am I wrong?

Well, that was interesting. I went to look at the 2006-dated catalogue records on copac again, and two cataloguers had blithely added on synopsis details mentioning the 2010 Fromelles material without cottoning on that it contradicted their assertion of date of publication = 2006.

It becomes apparent that the 2006 edition exists in two variants, one without the 2010 update and one with (both seem to have the same number of pages). I'd need to look at copies of both to see whether the publishers had completely failed to make reference to this.

Librarian in a minor professional huff and wishing I could get at those records to correct them....

sJ

This is a matter of the publisher being 'honest'. The completely revised edition was just that - everything updated, presumably sites revisited, text amended. With the opening of the new cemetery at Fromelles and the accompanying ceremonies, they added in a few pages on that; it does not make it a new edition, just an edition with additional text (and, presumably, some changes to the 2007 Fromelles entry). Thus, if you want the latest version, get the latest imprint.

This is a matter of the publisher being 'honest'. The completely revised edition was just that - everything updated, presumably sites revisited, text amended. With the opening of the new cemetery at Fromelles and the accompanying ceremonies, they added in a few pages on that; it does not make it a new edition, just an edition with additional text (and, presumably, some changes to the 2007 Fromelles entry). Thus, if you want the latest version, get the latest imprint.

Thank you; that's what I wanted.

My copy (bought in 2012) is the: Thirteenth edition August 2010 - it actually has 248 pages (with the 8 pages on Fromelles)

Editions / Printings as shown on page 2:

First published August 1976

Second edition November 1977

Third edition November 1979

Fourth edition March 1983

Fifth edition July 1986

Sixth edition April 1990

Seventh edition November 1994

Eighth printing November 1998

Ninth printing February 2001

Tenth printing April 2003

Eleventh edition November 2005

Twelfth edition May 2006

Thirteenth edition August 2010

Thanks Frev! So some librarians somewhere haven't catalogued very well *mutter mutter*. And a definitive answer.

Regardless of the edition, it is an excellent guide. I remember touring around the Argonne in the 1980's with it, before a lot of the sites were properly signposted. I followed the instructions, down an unmarked forest track; parked up where it said and walked into the forest and found the "Abri de Kronprinz" just where it said it would be. I spent a good hour exploring the overgrown trenches, shelters and tunnels; I would have driven straight by to Varennes and the more obvious sites without the book..

My copy (bought in 2012) is the: Thirteenth edition August 2010 - it actually has 248 pages (with the 8 pages on Fromelles)

Editions / Printings as shown on page 2:

First published August 1976

Second edition November 1977

Third edition November 1979

Fourth edition March 1983

Fifth edition July 1986

Sixth edition April 1990

Seventh edition November 1994

Eighth printing November 1998

Ninth printing February 2001

Tenth printing April 2003

Eleventh edition November 2005

Twelfth edition May 2006

Thirteenth edition August 2010

Yes, this is the copy I have now bought.

My thanks go to every one who has helped me with this enquiry.