Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW2 names on WW1 memorial

hannah

Does this suggest a)the supernatural B) mistake or c)have I overlooked the obvious

Lincoln City WW! memorial has two names -FE Fountaine and G E Armitage -which I cannot find in any WW1 listings but both names with the same initials are listed in CWGC Roll of Honour as casualties in 1944

Any suggestions please

Hannah,

Does the memorial also hold the names for WWII? If so how are these presented in relation to WWI names, e.g. separate panels? I have come across a couple of memorials on my wanderings where they ran out of space on the memorial and included a couple of WWII names on the WWI panel. They are usually easy to spot though as they are either out of sequence or more prominent.

Marc

Its a memorial specifically for WW1. The two names are listed in the columns of WW1 casualties - they aren't late additions or 'extras' - I think it's very odd!

Hannah,

A few more thoughts...

Try to locate the original local newspaper article(s) that detailed the unveiling of the memorial. This may at least confirm the total number of names commemorated at that time.

The local papers usually carried a regular roll of honour for the area during 1914/1915 - the names may be listed here.

Could they be relatives from different generations killed in both world wars?

It is possible that the individuals died sometime after the Great War had ended and thus will not appear on WW1 listings. You may wish to try the absent voters list for your local area. These are usually held by the local library or record office.

The St Catherines Index of Births, Deaths & Marriages (you should find a copy in your local library). Again, this is useful if your man survived the war, was discharged from the army but died later and wasn't registered as a war death with the CWGC.

Another useful source is the 1901 census. This will confirm whether somebody of that name and of the right age was living in the district.

Also remember that many of the entries on memorials were inaccurate. Wrong initials, incorrect spellings and sometimes completely the wrong name do occur.

I am sure that other forum pals may be able to suggest other avenues.

Marc

Hannah

Looking at the details on the CWGC it would seem clear that these two are definitely WW2 - in particular the name F.E. Fountaine would seem to be too unusual to be duplicated in both wars. Many memorials have had their panels recut or replaced since they were originally built, and often mistakes creep in second time around - the Council may be able to tell you if and when this was done, and the Record Office or Museum may have photos of the original panels and names - I have photos of Worthing War Memorial, with different spellings for some of the names before and after restoration.

Regards - Sue

Just a little extra (though you probably have all this from the CWGC site)...

On the "Army Roll of Honour 1939- 45" CD-ROM, G.E. Armitage is listed as :

268996 Lieutenant George E.Armitage, Royal Armoured Corps.

Born:Lincoln, Residence:Lincoln, Died: 10/6/44, Theatre: Italy.

F.E.Fountaine (various attempts at spellings) isn't listed. (Was he RAF, or Navy? - I haven't looked at the CWGC site).

Not much, I know, but at least it confirms the fact that he is a WW2 casualty I suppose!

Dave.

Gravesend's war memorial was erected in 1922 but unfortunately it was bombed in 1940 during the Second World War and not re-built until 1949. The names of those killed during WW2 were not added to the list from WW1.

I mention this because at some point the memorial that you are researching may have been changed from the original - at what point in time....who knows?

I would find the original article showing the unveiling and it may list those named on the memorial, most of the memorials that I have looked at do this.

Regards

Andrew

From CWGC site

How about the following name variations

Both from Lincolnshire

B.Fountain Died 31.05.16

Thomas Henry Fountain Died 09.08.15

From SDGW

Fred Fountain Died 27.04.18 10995 Labour Corps (formerly Lincs Regt)

Fred Fountain Died 22.08.18 64580 Northumberland Fus - born Lincolnshire

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'm contacting those who might have access to original records. I suspect the answer is more likely to be there than in the supernatural

Hannah

You say that in jest but I photographed the Gravesend memorial in April 2000 and have visited it many time over the period since then. At the Armistice day in 2002, I noticed that there were two names added onto the alphabetically listed names, one I recognised because this was originally there but the other I did not! I noted the name and when I got home I took out my photographs of the memorial and sure enough the name wasn't there in April 2000. I later contacted the council, who are responsible for the memorial and they knew nothing of the new name or any work being completed on the memorial!

As it happens this persons name is not on any other memorial in the local area and he did come from and live in Gravesend - but it is bizarre that nobody put his name on the memorial - or will at least admit to it!

Not quite supernatural but odd.

Regards

Andrew