Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haig's Diary

Halder

For anyone interested, there's a new edition of Douglas Haig's diaries being published (as well as letters) by Weidenfield & Nicolson next year, edited by Gary Sheffield.

Hopefully, it will be much more open than Blake's book 50 years ago, but I have my reservations as the present Earl Haig has the right to veto any extracts used.

For anyone living in the UK, a visit to the PRO to consult the original diaries is heartily recommended, particularly the later years, as beyond the daily entries there are copious documents, reports, notes, orders etc which I found invaluable.

Just for the record, the book is a joint venture with Gary Sheffield and John Bourne. I beleive they have taken alternate years to cover etc. Had not heard about the veto thing though!

regards

Arm.

When you inspect the original files at Kew, you sign an agreement or a disclaimer from memory, according to which the Haig family must be allowed to see any extracts from the diary you use in a publication. I signed it about 10 years ago, although things may have changed since then.

I doubt the veto is used; the diary was re-written by Haig in the early post-war years and presumably any entries he didn't like were removed.

the diary was re-written by Haig in the early post-war years and presumably any entries he didn't like were removed.

Correct – see Travers’ ‘The Killing Ground’ p.26 where he quotes from Lady Haig’s correspondence with Edmonds. Lady Haig had “omitted various passages ‘as Douglas would have done….and he [DH] proposed altering some words in the diary which I have done – where he pointed them at the time we were putting them together.’”

Regards

Michael D.R.

I think you will find that the original and the other one both exist and the authors have been able to compare. On the whole the additions and this is perhaps what they are rather than ommissions add info rather than change it. Though there are some areas for concern.

If you want to change your entries to make you look better then surely you get rid of the original? Haig did not do this.

As for a veto, well whilst this may stiffle history, it can perhaps be understood when some authors choose to 'lie' in print or distort the truth.

regards

Arm

Absolutely. I've always been very wary of Denis Winter's book...

Arm's right about the diaries in the National Library of Scotland. The typed-up m/s has some additions, but the original autograph diary is there. Some earlier controversy has occurred when authors have based thier findings on the typescript without cross-referencing to the original. When I went, I only had time to examine the autograph, but still felt it a rare privilege to be able to handle such material.

thanks for that Roop.

Arm.

I have an original if Pals have references to look up. Its heavy going for general reading though. Also Haigs Despatches.

Roop

I have been lucky enough to attend a talk in which Gary Sheffield introduced the work he and John Bourne have been doing for this new edition. Interestingly, he presumes that there was in fact a third version of Haig's diaries, now sadly lost, formed of those extracts he despatched to Lady Haig - some of which she typed up and distributed, including to the King.

The new edition will be a great improvement on the Blake edition with much more included. Will contradict quite a few biographers (De Groot & Nicholas Gardener especially) also!

• 3 months later...

There is a great several page review / extract with illustrations re this new book in this month's BBC History Magazine, March.

Haig: War Diaries and Letters, (2005) edited by Gary Sheffield and John Bourne (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)

Robbie

Robbie,

i read this last sunday on the train bacl home after the IWM trip. End to a good day.

regards

Arm.

Ps Amazon have intro offer of £15.00 Bargain!

Robbie,

I am waiting to see if John Bourne, one of the authors, is 'doing' anything along the lines of an offer. He runs the Centre for First World War Studies at Birmingham University, that i attend. If not then i shall order one.

regards

Arm.

Robbie,

No time(i work most weekends), no money, not enogh qualifications to be considered for those in my area that are available.

Would like to but.....

regards

Arm.

Arm,

Did you know that mature applicants (defined as over 21 years) can be considered for a place at university based on qualifications other than A levels? The usual process is to enrol on an Access course which if passed satisfactorily can lead to an offer of a place at uni.

Robbie

PS. I'm the Admissions officer for my department..

Birmingham uni runs a world war one degree but the level requires a lower degree and time at weekends to attend the course. I can not attend on both accounts.

I was not aware that this was the case, though i do have A levels.

regards

Arm.

Perhaps one day, Arm. I was a mature age student myself. I didn't have the chance to attend university straight from school. I began when my girls were young. Best thing I ever did..

Robbie

Birmingham uni runs a world war one degree but the level requires a lower degree

What would constitute a "lower degree" Arm? Phil B