Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where do I go, beyond attestation doc and medal record?

JLouiseBow

My war hero is Horace Hartley, Private 83200, Machine Gun Corp, York and Lancaster Regt., and he gained the Victory and British medals (roll MGC/101 B53, page 4555); from this you can see I have his attestation document and medal record. However, I have no idea how to find out where he served and who with.

I was lucky enough to ascertain from my cousin, which brigade my other war hero served with and thus located his War Diary, but we know nothing about Horace. Please can someone help and tell me if and how I can proceed?

There are some great tips on the Long, Long Trail above.

I note that you say you have his attestation document. I assume this is from his service records on Ancestry? If so, then note that there are multiple pages to this document not just the attestation page. You can cycle through the pages using the arrows that appear on the documents (lower middle on the advance viewer)

On his records it notes that he served with 3/4th Battalion Yorks and Lancs for training from October 1916, transferred to the Machine Gun Corps for further training at Belton Park in February 1917 and then transferred to 235th Company of the Machine Gun Corps (part of 12th Division) for service in France and Flanders from 11th July 1917. 235th Company was later combined into 12th Battalion Machine Gun Corps (becoming "D" Company of 12th Battalion Machine Gun Corps). He suffered a hernia in August 1918 having served with 12th Division for over a year. He did not make it back to the front line after that time.

http://www.1914-1918.net/12div.htm

Steve.

JLB

Welcome to the Forum !

Mobilised 25.10.1916. Attested initially as 3865 Yorks and Lancs Regiment but only went overseas with the Machine Gun Corps.

With 235 Company MGC (12 Division) and later (1.3.1918) that Company joined ith others to become 12 Battalion MGC.

Later,August 1918,suffered a hernia which removed back to UK to war's en.

check local newspapers