Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Smartest' cavalry regiments

NZHighlander

Some mildly interesting stats from the 1914 Star medal roll for Infantry Officers:

144 titled Officers of 5,684 Infantry Officers at battalion level (ranks 2nd Lt to Lt Col). 5 Foot Guards, 68 Line Infantry and 21 TF Infantry Regiments represented. The titled Officers represented just 2.5% of all infantry Officers. The table below shows the distribution across just 32 regiments. 59% of all titled officers in the Infantry were serving in the Foot Guards. 17% were serving in Scottish line infantry regiments. The remaining 24% were spread across 17 line infantry and 2 TF Regiments. MG

86 of the 381 Officers who served in the Foot Guards during the dates of the 1914 Star were titled (22.6%).

post-55873-0-67310500-1424926099_thumb.j

Some mildly interesting stats from the 1914 Star medal roll for Infantry Officers:

144 titled Officers of 5,684 Infantry Officers at battalion level (ranks 2nd Lt to Lt Col). 5 Foot Guards, 68 Line Infantry and 21 TF Infantry Regiments represented. The titled Officers represented just 2.5% of all infantry Officers. The table below shows the distribution across just 32 regiments. 59% of all titled officers in the Infantry were serving in the Foot Guards. 17% were serving in Scottish line infantry regiments. The remaining 24% were spread across 17 line infantry and 2 TF Regiments. MG

86 of the 381 Officers who served in the Foot Guards during the dates of the 1914 Star were titled (22.6%).

Martin,

Do you have stats for those who were casualties?

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Martin,

Do you have stats for those who were casualties?

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Three slices of the data below;

1. Sorted by type of casualty

2. Sorted by Title

3. Sorted by Regiment

MG

post-55873-0-77509300-1424963573_thumb.j

post-55873-0-42941200-1424963608_thumb.j

post-55873-0-83314600-1424963635_thumb.j

Maartin please does your analysis of titled officers extend to the "Hons" ........ sons of titled gentlemen too junior to have a hand-me-down handle?

Dukes (none), Marquesses (none), Viscounts, Earls, Lords, Baronets and sons of the above with 'The Hon' as a title.

Three slices of the data below;

1. Sorted by type of casualty

2. Sorted by Title

3. Sorted by Regiment

MG

Gulp!

I'm very much impressed, at the speed and the details.

Thanks for your reply.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Gulp!

I'm very much impressed, at the speed and the details.

Thanks for your reply.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

It is all on a spreadsheet. it takes 2 seconds to sort. The 5,700 names are more impressive :)

It is all on a spreadsheet. it takes 2 seconds to sort. The 5,700 names are more impressive :)

But very impressive just the same.

It also indicates the amount of work and dedication you have on the subject.

Tom.

But very impressive just the same.

It also indicates the amount of work and dedication you have on the subject.

Tom.

I was simply a small byproduct of a much larger project. Cavalry on its way soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the Cavalry stats for 1914 based on the 1914 Star rolls. 55% of titled Officers served in the Household Cavalry's three regiments. Slightly less concentrated than the Infantry's 59% concentration in the Foot Guards. The 10th RH and 2nd Dragoons (Scots Greys) come in at the top of the Line Cavalry followed by the also-rans. Note the Line Cavalry 'rankings' (for want of a better worth) do not really reflect French's views based on 1910.

The only caveat is that Baron A G de Gunzberg and Baron A G De Gunzburg appear in the Royal Horse Guards and the 11 (PAO) H. I assume they are one and the same but in case there were brothers with typos I have included them in both. ... Incidentally classed as an 'interpreter'. No surprise there. The table is not dissimilar to the table based on the 1914 Army List, but does at least show who turned up for the beginning of the War. Some of the below were Yeomanry Officers attached, essentially returning to the regiments they probably served with during their time in the regular Army. MG

Here are the Cavalry stats for 1914 based on the 1914 Star rolls. 55% of titled Officers served in the Household Cavalry's three regiments. Slightly less concentrated than the 59% of titled Infantry Officers concentrated in the Foot Guards. The 10th RH is a full length ahead of the 2nd Dragoons (Scots Greys) and the 11th (PAO) H which are neck-and-neck. These are followed by the also-rans. Note the Line Cavalry 'rankings' (for want of a better word) do not really reflect French's views based on 1910.

There are two caveats; Firstly not all Cavalry Regiments went to France in 1914 so some will not be represented in the table. Secondly Baron A G de Gunsberg and Baron A G De Gunzburg appear in the Royal Horse Guards and the 11 (PAO) H. I assume they are one and the same but I have included them in both as it is unclear which unit he disembarked with. I suspect being of German extraction he was 11(PAO) H attached to RHG. ... Incidentally classed as an 'interpreter'. No surprise there. The table is not dissimilar to the table based on the 1914 Army List, but does at least show who turned up for the beginning of the War. Some of the below were Yeomanry Officers attached, essentially returning to the regiments they probably served with during their time in the regular Army. MG

Edit. For some reason the Viscounts have slipped down the tables (my error). They should lie between Earls and Barons

post-55873-0-33633300-1426044235_thumb.j

post-55873-0-32209800-1426044264_thumb.j

post-55873-0-75758300-1426044289_thumb.j

I'm interested in why you have the 13th Hussars "up there": I don't think they had a Royal Colonel, did they? Not that is an exclusion, but I would have thought a friend at Court would help!

In 1914 the Colonel of 13th Hussars was Lt-Gen Sir Robert Baden-Powell. Not Royal, but I'm sure he had excellent connections at Court!

Ron