Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is this officer ? WW1 and 1953 Coronation?

sturgis

The ribbon pattern could easily also be the prison service or ambulance service LSGC's, but seeing that this appears to be a regular army officer (no territorial decorations) I would bank on it being the coronation, as I doubt weather a career officer would have the time to get long service awards for other services. ?

Sorry Sturgis, but you are getting yourself mixed up - not helped by me putting Police in my original post when I meant Special Constabulary. Since the issue that these are clearly two different people has now been resolved it is a mute point, but in the photo on the right the last ribband bar is clearly NOT for the Coronation medal, but the Special Constabulary Long Service Good Conduct Medal. The fact it is very different to the Coronation medal ribbon of the chap on the left is one of the factors that helps illustrate they are two very different people. Plus, there were plenty of opportunities in the inter-war period for a distinguished ex-officer to serve and pick up the nine years required to qualify beofre WW2 had come round:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Constabulary_Long_Service_Medal

Andrew

You are correct. Ive scanned it better and I can see the difference. Even though its black and white you can just see a hue difference between the black and the red bands I think. And of course missing any emblems. Douglas was apparently a civil servant and got his TD in 1950 for his 12 years service in the TA. So yes he was a busy boy.

Rich

doug_ince_ribbons.jpg

• 2 weeks later...