Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is this officer ? WW1 and 1953 Coronation?

sturgis

Hi All

I have these portraits and would like to find out who this officer is ?

Pre MBE Artillery and Coronation Gold Staff Officer in the West Riding Regt. I have studied and I think its the same man ?

Any help appreciated.
Rich

20140714_202150_resized_zps4b1d5977.jpg20140715_2013vsv01_resized_zpsc65e3e33.j

I don't think it is the same man. If you are saying the pic on the left was taken ww1 then he does not appear to have age in around 35yrs. Also his left earlobe in the pic on the left looks bigger which usually occurs with age.

Deffo the same man unless he had a twin. The left photo is 1953 Gold Staff Officer in the West Riding Regt at the coronation. I am assuming the arty uniform is pre WW2 as no WW2 medals in 1953 ! The MC for WW1 ? and the MBE late 40's early 50's ?

Richard

Neither look WW1. Not being a medal expert I am not so sure the ribbons worn relate to WW1

Medals are, MBE, Military Cross, 1914 star and bar, BWM, Victory with MID emblem, 1937 coronation. Campaign and MC deffo WW1 with MBE i would guess post WW2.

Not saying either pic is WW1. Just that he has WW1 service.

The ribbon bar shown in the photo on the right appears to match the medals being worn in the photo on the left, which look to be from left to right Military Cross, WW1 Trio and the 1935 KGV Jubilee medal.

In the photograph on the left, the medals being worn are the OBE ( Order of the British Empire ), the Military Cross, the WW1 Trio, and the KGV 1935 Jubilee medal.

Perhaps his OBE is QE2.

With the ribbon bar containing the 1935 Jubilee Medal, that dates the photographs after 1935.

LF

I know the pic is black and white but the tone of the civil award looks silver, same as the MC, so I would say its a civil MBE (guilt for an OBE) and it has to be pre 1953 coronation so George VI issue.

The uniform on the left is of a Gold Staff Officer at the 53 coronation. They were the 'ushers' in Westminster Abby (400 of them).

Its the ribbon for the 37 coronation not the 35 jubilee.

Yep, I found that too but it doesnt list the 400 Gold Staff Officers! There are only 4 Majors on that list and I have checked them out and its not them. Thanks.

The ribbon bar shown in the photo on the right appears to match the medals being worn in the photo on the left,

I do not believe the men in the two photographs are the same man because the medals/ribbands actually appear to be different between the two. Note the lack of MBE/OBE on the ribband bar, lack of rosette for the 1914 Star's Bar, lack of MiD emblem for the VM. Also the last medal ribband on the right photo is for the Special COnstabulary Long Service Good Conduct Medal - not for the Coronation Medal as on the left..

The ribbon pattern could easily also be the prison service or ambulance service LSGC's, but seeing that this appears to be a regular army officer (no territorial decorations) I would bank on it being the coronation, as I doubt weather a career officer would have the time to get long service awards for other services. ?

Hello Rich

I don't think they are the same man ! The Duke's Officer is Major C W G Ince. The other chap is Royal Artillery.

Regards

Ron

Maj CWG Ince OBE MC was a retired officer in 1939 at war office.. in 1914 a Lt in 2Bn Duke of Wellingtons.. the RA Major must indeed be someone else

An enlargement of the medal group shown in the photograph on the left, along with the KGV Jubilee Medal and the KGVI Coronation Medal for comparison, and the medal on the far right of the group does look to be the KGVI Coronation Medal.

post-63666-0-49981800-1420982751_thumb.j

post-63666-0-02693500-1420982779_thumb.j

post-63666-0-48051600-1420982807_thumb.j

Great..I think I have solved it. He is one of three brothers who all won the MC in WW1.

Cecil William Gason Ince LG 14/6/1916, Dike of Wellingtons Regiment (West Riding)

Norman Sedgwick Ince LG 1/1/1918, Manchester regement

Douglas Edward Ince LG 1/1/1918 (same gazette), Durham Light Infantry

I have checked out the censuses and gazettes, it all correlates.

Cecil is confirmed at the 1937 coronation thanks to 'ironduke'.

Douglas is confirmed as relinquishing commission in 1929 and retaining rank of major and then receiving the Officers Territorial Decoration in 1950 in the Royal Artillery.

Pity I cant find a picture of Norman!

I found an earlier thread where the brothers were discussed..

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154497

Cecil is listed as an assistant secretary in the War Office in 1940 as a Lt.Col. so I guess him and Douglas would have got their WW2 medals also!

So the photos are by my guess between 1937 and 1945.

Richard

:whistle: Yes ! Ha ha..but you have to admit they are almost alike! I have the original large format photos here and everybody I have shown them to said they must be the same man. The uniform and medal subtleties were throwing me and I was trying to make a correlation between them. Would be nice to dig up a couple more photos of each to see!

This is the fun of research.

Rich

:w00t:

Just saying that, disregarding the uniforms and medals, the persons in these 2 photos are very alike. Initially I thought the same. Same chin, lips, moustache, nose, eyes, mouth. The only difference possibly would be the back of the ear. There is 7 years between my and my younger brother and we look very similar (with another bro in the middle who doesnt!) Guess that these Ince brothers were very similar too!

ince.jpg