Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Merchant Marine ship 140664

Tank

Hi Folks

I haven't done a great deal of research on the Merchant Marines but I wondered if someone who had could provide a bit of guidance. If I'm reading it correctly, a record on Find my Past has a record showing Arthur Kirk Millership with the annotation of 140664 10 18 and I'm presuming it means he served on a ship with reference 140664 in October 1918.

Have I made the correct assumption and is it possible to find a ship name to go with the number?

Cheers

The Miramar Shipping Index has a list of Ship's Official Numbers. The is no vessel shown for 140664. (1919)

I might have jumped the gun a little. The National Archives has an Official Number 140664 but it does not actually contain the name. You would need to order the file.

I know that if at one time you put in an Official Number ALL results would come up in Nat.Archives.

Took me a while to find this!

Kath.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9317048

Liverpool: SS Mandingo (Elder Dempster Company Ltd) travelling from West Africa to...

This record can be found at Ancestry.co.uk

Partner websites are free to search but there may be a charge to view full transcriptions and download documents. Other services may also be available.

The National Archives is not responsible for the content of external websites.

Visit Ancestry.co.uk

View free at The National Archives

Reference: BT 26/644/26

Description:

Liverpool: SS Mandingo (Elder Dempster Company Ltd) travelling from West Africa to Liverpool.

Embarking at Lagos, Accra, Sekondi and Sierra Leone.

Official Number: 140664.

List of passengers disembarking at Liverpool.

Date: 1918 Jun 22

Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Legal status: Public Record

Tank

Apologies for the mislead ! Miramar is usually effective in finding a name to a number,strange that yours isn't listed. Not seen this before in my musings.

Tank

Apologies for the mislead ! Miramar is usually effective in finding a name to a number,strange that yours isn't listed. Not seen this before in my musings.

That’s because this appears to be a very strange case indeed, a ship with two different official numbers. Mandingo was built in 1913 as Appam with an official number of 135442. Appam, of course, was captured by SMS Möwe on January 15, 1916 135 miles E 1/2 n of Madeira and eventually sent to Hampton Roads with prisoners, where she was interned. The vessel was returned to its owner in 1917 but renamed Mandingo. She’s listed in the 1918/1919 edition of Lloyd's Register as having an official number of 140664 with no previous name. By the 1919/1920 edition, that had been sorted out; Appam was listed as a former name. Also, the ON is listed as 135442. Apparently later in 1919, Mandingo is renamed back to Appam.

Best wishes,

Michael

Thanks,Michael ! Faith (almost) restored in Miramar !

I remember the "Appam" story as I read it in Elder Dempster's Book of War Losses in Southampton Library's Maritime Collection.