The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of regiment from uniform and cap badge

petermuir

Grateful for the help of the forum in helping me identify:

1) the regiment from the cap badge post-14930-0-90175900-1420750419_thumb.j

2) the meaning of the armband post-14930-0-24877000-1420750326_thumb.j

3) the medal the ribbon strip above the left tunic pocket post-14930-0-73455400-1420750278_thumb.j

I attach a general photograph, a close up of the hat badge, and a close up of the ribbon stripe which includes a glimpse of an epaulette badge.

Any help and advice will be greatfully welcomed.

Many thanks

Bob

MM?

Hi Bob,

He's wearing spurs, riding trousers, a bandolier, and lanyard - so presumably a Driver (rather than a Sapper) with an RE signals unit.

Regards

Chris

Hi Bob,

He's wearing spurs, riding trousers, a bandolier, and lanyard - so presumably a Driver (rather than a Sapper) with an RE signals unit.

Regards

Chris

He might well be a 'linesman', a key appointment in the Signal Service, whose appointees wore mounted duty clothing and equipment and signals brassard. They provided a critical service for all formation headquarters.

RE signaler as already mentioned and a MM winner, is his name known?

If a linesman but wearing spurs he'll be the chap who rode on a horse behind the cable wagon, using a forked stick to lift the cable over obstacles as it was laid (as Frogsmile suggests). I don't know, but I suspect the RE Drivers of such a detachment wouldn't have worn the signallers' brassard?

One RE Signals Company cable detachment I am aware of in 1914 comprised ten men in all: a Sergeant and two Drivers plus a 2nd Corporal, three Sappers and three Pioneers to lay the cable from drums on a wagon (and I've seen them generally referred to as linesmen, although I wonder if the title properly belongs to the one who was the horseman); as I think the usual number of personnel for a cable wagon was 7 men, this might reflect a couple riding shotgun, so to speak, when in action at Le Cateau.

Had a very quick Google about but couldn't find anything obvious to identify this man and his MM, but would hope it's feasible to find him.

Cheers, Pat

RE signaler as already mentioned and a MM winner, is his name known?

His surname was Bryce and I suspect that his Christain name was Robert.

He is my grand step uncle. I scanned the picture from a postcard. On the other side is the message "From Bobbie to Tina." The Tina was I believe was Christina Bonnington my grand aunt, Robert Bryce's step sister.

Is there a list of military medal holders available somewhere online?

Thanks and best wishes

Bob

Any views what the brass letters you can just about see on the left epaulette in this picture?

Bob

It is the brass shoulder title RE - for Royal Engineers...

His surname was Bryce and I suspect that his Christain name was Robert.

He is my grand step uncle. I scanned the picture from a postcard. On the other side is the message "From Bobbie to Tina." The Tina was I believe was Christina Bonnington my grand aunt, Robert Bryce's step sister.

Is there a list of military medal holders available somewhere online?

Thanks and best wishes

Bob

Thanks Bob,

In theory you should be able to find a listing for it being awarded on the London Gazette.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

Personally, I find TNA to be much easier to search. LG's search engine was never very accurate, but since it's been revamped it's become even more tricky IMHO.

I suspect that your man was 193164 RE, and was previously 13845 in the Scottish Rifles.

The armband was blue and white denoting signaller.

Here is the London Gazette entry for the MM of 193164, Sapper R. Bryce.

Phil

Thank you Phil. Very much apprceciated.

Personally, I find TNA to be much easier to search. LG's search engine was never very accurate, but since it's been revamped it's become even more tricky IMHO.

I suspect that your man was 193164 RE, and was previously 13845 in the Scottish Rifles.

Thanks. I agree with your expressed "IMHO".

The best way I find, particularly for MMs, is to limit the dates (say, 01/081914 to some-when in 1919), then input service number and surname only.

Phil