Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

March Cometh Again!

trenchtrotter

March will soon be here. Sunshine in early Spring. Daffodils, the first Bumble Bee, buds on the trees and frogs in High Wood crater!

Yes Mr TT will soon be off and his pass is stamped for 10 days.............horaah!

Muddy fields and all weathers I am on my way. As usual I shall bore you with a post trip report.

TT

PS Genef, Torrey and Kirky, hope to see you in a field. Gene, if you make it dress correctly and brush up on the tea at two ritual.

TT

TT,

Still working on the flight plans!

I have been studying the notes I took last year about the tea at two ritual....I have the sugar thing down but I am having difficulty not putting ice cubes in my tea..

sweet iced tea is all people drink in the southern United States!

I bought some boots ah, wellies (that fit), and you will be pleased to know the blisters I got last year finally healed!

I have been walking twenty miles a day, only in bad weather, through every mud hole,up every hill,over every obstacle I can find.

I will be ready for the TT Torture Trot!

Hope to see you there,

Gene

TT.

I for one, always look forward to your trip report.

Enjoy Sir. And lots of pic's wouldn't go a miss please.

Thanks.

G.K.

I'm banning any reports on your trip, Tim. You're only going to come and show us all the amazing finds for 2015 and make me incredibly jealous.

Have a good one!

C u there. We depart 12th

• Admin

Bring on March I have a week near Cambrai booked

March is THE month!

Once upon a time there were three Irishmen and an Englishman.

They stayed for a week at the best hotel on Gallipoli and their visit coincided with the State Visit to Turkey of the Irish President.

We joined the presidential party at a couple of cemeteries, also for their lunch and listened to two speeches which were both really rather good, and we were at the unveiling of the 10th Division's memorial plaque.

That was all in March 2010 and we enjoyed it so much we decided then and there to do it again in 2015.

So, we have booked the best hotel once more, as well as flights and a car.

Now, all we need to complete the reprise is for some state president to lay on a visit and a slap-up lunch.

If the lunch is as good as the last one, then we also be prepared to listen to a couple of speeches at no extra cost to the parties involved.

Bless all battlefield visitors and may each enjoy their March as much as we will

Normally would be over on the Somme around March time ourselves but we have planned our annual trip this year to coincide with the 46th North Midland Divisions attack on the Hohenzollern redoubt on Oct 13th so you won't be seeing our group (South Staffs pals) at a distance as has occurred in the past :) .

Have a great trip

Dave

Normally would be over on the Somme around March time ourselves but we have planned our annual trip this year to coincide with the 46th North Midland Divisions attack on the Hohenzollern redoubt on Oct 13th so you won't be seeing our group (South Staffs pals) at a distance as has occurred in the past :) .

Have a great trip

Dave

Hi Dave,

Read with interest your post on visiting the Hohenzollern Redoubt in October, Could I ask how many of you are going, will you be staying in the area and if so where.

Regards

Garry

Hi Dave,

Read with interest your post on visiting the Hohenzollern Redoubt in October, Could I ask how many of you are going, will you be staying in the area and if so where.

Regards

Garry

Hi Dave,

Regards

Garry

Hi Dave,

Regards

Garry

Hi Garry,

Have tried to pm you with the answer to your question rather than on TT's thread but your in box is full :whistle: will try again later.

Dave

Hotel in Ashford booked. ?

Ferry booked. ?

B an B in Ypres secured. ?

Base camp on Somme sorted. ?

Good to go. 9 days away.

TT

What days on Somme out of your 9?

tony

Tony,

Pretty much all.

We will spend the first day at Ypres (straight off boat). Second day my brother wants to look at the Gort Stop Line south and east of Lille and then we drive to Fonquevillers (14th) and have the next seven full days on the Somme but will have our usual "awayday" at Arras / Loos / somewhere?

Tim

As usual I can't wait to see the result. Enjoy the trip Tim.

• 4 weeks later...

Have a great trip

Dave

I will be there on the 13th. Parking up at Quarry Cemetery and walking across to the Redoubt and 46 Div memorial, crops permitting, then walking Big Willie, Dump Trench, Slag Alley and Fosse Alley

I will be there on the 13th. Parking up at Quarry Cemetery and walking across to the Redoubt and 46 Div memorial, crops permitting, then walking Big Willie, Dump Trench, Slag Alley and Fosse Alley

Look forward to meeting you there, There will be between 8 - 12 of us, just listen out for the midland accents and look for South Staffs badges

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like half of Brum will be there! Not long now.

TT

Brian, we will be at Ocean Villas. We usually have a couple of beers in Tea Room bar about 6:30 ish before our evening meal. Just in case you fancy dropping in if you're that way

Terry