Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for photos of these officers and medal winning men....

sturgis

Hi all.

I have carried out research on these officers and men but have not been able to find any photos...just putting them out here on the off chance...

Thanks

Richard

All at one time part of 67th Brigade Royal Field Artillery

Lt. Colonel Charles Wilfred Macpherson Ivens

Corporal Robert Hallows DCM

Lieutenant Andrew Ernest Sutherland

2nd Lieutenant Frederick Henry Forde MC

2nd Lieutenant John Cyril Lewis Jennings MC

Bombardier Charles H Horton DCM MID

Major William Ernest Goodwin MC, Serbian White Eagle

Sergeant Cedric Buxton MM

Sergeant Alfred Bertie Bradnam MM

Major Charles Edmund Ryan MC, MID(x2)

Lieutenant Edward Walton Keesey

Oh, and also;

Major-General William Frederick Cleeve CB JP...

Sturgis,

According to my notes you will find a photo of Sutherland in the University of Edinburgh Roll of Honour p99a; Ryan can be found in Our Heroes p184. Unfortunately I do not hold copies of either.

Promenade

here is an image of Cleeve at Woolwich in 1915, from the RMA Magazine 61 [Aug 1915] - the '2nd in command' is, I think, Major T C Sinclair, and 'Assistant Adjutant' Lt Col (D.O.)David Smith.. commissioned from the ranks as a District Officer

post-7621-0-25068500-1421274007_thumb.jp

Awesome, thanks battiscombe! I can put this with the family files now..!

Interesting to see the 2 younger officers appear to be wearing the MC ribbon, so would be among the earlier ones awarded. (first awarded Dec 1915)

Richard

I am not sure about MCs - although it looks like them.. Smith had been at Woolwich since 1907.. Sinclair, if him, had been at front in 1914, but neither had MC.. as far as i can see .. no suggestions what this ribbon may be.. BUT there is a colour plate drawing of the Asst Adjutant in the magazine with medal and these look to be QSA+KSA with something odd first .. maybe a Cape of Good Hope 1880-97??_.. Order of St George?? .. in colour ..what looks dark at the centre is in fact yellowish..with green/blues at sides... colours look reversed.. and quite unlike photo.. but NOT an MC, whatever it is ..

Yes, if a campaign medal it would pre-date the QSA.

Only medals I can see that pre-date 1900 and have same layout as MC ribbon are the North Borneo Medal, Khedives Sudan Medal, Royal Niger Companys medal, Cape of Good Hopes Medal. Some of these he would not I think qualify for?? Would be interesting to see the colour plate you refer to ?

Have Sinclair MID'd on 20/10/14 with 26th Brigade RFA.

Richard