Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

23773 Gnr Alfred James Mason RFA

clivefarmer

Hi

I have a postcard sent by Gnr (Alf) Mason 23773 RFA C Troop 13 Camp no 2 General Base Details Le Havre dated 6 Oct 1915 . A search of the IWM Lives of the First World War database comes up zero using the service number quoted . The database does contain a Gunner Alf Mason with a quite different service number ie 1045841 . Service numbers similar to that on the postcard eg 23713 seem to belong to the Royal Garrison Artillery . Could anyone advise me whether the RFA changed service numbers or have any ideas on tracing my Alf Mason ?

Thank you Clive Farmer

The second service number you give would have been issued after the war around 1920

Clive,

23773 Gnr. Alfred James Mason has service record pages on Ancestry and Findmypast. You will need a subscription, but the period when he sent that postcard is quite interesting. He is not the same Alf Mason as 1045841.

Hi,

Looks as if your man is Alfred Joseph Mason, who started as Gunner 23773 RFA and ended as Sapper 366120 Royal Engineers. If this is your man he was issued a Silver War Badge number B156186.

all the best

Gordon

Hi Clive

Alfred James Mason enlisted 12th November 1914, age 24, address at enlistment, 16, St Loys Road, Tottenham. Rank Gunner Number 23773.

Glasgow Number 6 Depot R.F.A. 5th Reserve Brigade. Posted B.E.F. 4th October 1915, posted 93rd Brigade R.F.A. 9th October 1915.

Gun Shot Wound chest and right thigh, 13 June 1917. Hospitalised Boulogne, before transferred back to England.

Transferred R.E. Electrical 20th June 1918. Number 366120. Discharged 392 Kings Regulations, Rank Sapper, 21st February 1919. Address at discharge

31, Sherringham Ave, Tottenham, N17.

1915 Star, Victory and British Medals.

Hope this is of use.

Regards.

Tony

Thanks to all who provided info on Gnr/Sapper Alf Mason . I now have him identified and the home address quoted by Tony ties up with the postcard I have

Clive

• spof changed the title to 23773 Gnr Alfred James Mason RFA