Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

query on Victorian equpiment and World War I

PFF

I am sure there are many, the ones that come to mind are Slade Wallace belts and buckles, rifles/bayonets of all patterns going back to the Martini Henry and Webley revolvers going back to the Mk1. Dependant on the unit and area of operations there could be many or none.

khaki

A number of P.1888 bayonets were around in the GW, but not all of them need to have been Victorian (i.e., made and issued before Jan. 1901). Off-hand I can't recall a Victorian-issued one that was certainly used in the GW, but given how some of these bayonets were still in use (IIRC) in WW2, the chances are certainly high!

Here is an example of I think 2nd Pattern valise equipment being used to make a barrack guard look uniform. They should be equipped with 03 bandolier, but there isn't enough to go around, and what is worse as a Rifle Regiment, its not black, and the belts are standard locket and not snake clasp. One has to make sacrifices in time of war is suppose!

Photo is of the 8th Hants at Sandown Barracks Oct 1914.

G

post-890-0-89909100-1420730859_thumb.jpg

That's an interesting photo, 'at ease' position with the leather? rifle slings loosened, I have never seen that before, was that official??

khaki

Depending on how big you like your equipment, 6 inch 30 cwt howitzer, 10 pounder mountain gun (well, introduced 1901), and plenty of ships. Also the grey back shirt worn by soldiers dates back to what, the 1860's?

Hi

slings loosened is quite common if they are intending to march off and sling the weapon as they step off.

regards

Dave

Depending on how big you like your equipment, 6 inch 30 cwt howitzer, 10 pounder mountain gun (well, introduced 1901), and plenty of ships.

Yes, HMS Canopus, for example, which fired on von Spee's ships at the Falkland Islands, dated from 1897.

Regards,

MikB

• 3 weeks later...

The navy adopted a new landing party equipment in 1901 however the earlier pattern which when used with 303 cartridges dates to 1890 saw widespread use.

Regards

RT

I do hope the Hants lads are not Guard Mounting.

Just look at the boots, and they are not sized either.

The right flank corporal is ot toeing the line.

I am going to assume they are just back from a hard dusty march .........

Depending on how big you like your equipment, 6 inch 30 cwt howitzer, 10 pounder mountain gun (well, introduced 1901), and plenty of ships. Also the grey back shirt worn by soldiers dates back to what, the 1860's?

I read somewhere that some of the guns used by the TF at Loos had been used at Omdurman.

Although there had been some talk of offering the Colonel in Chief of the I.W. Rifles to the Kaiser, a post filled instead by the Prince of Wales, later KG V, who had served with the Battalion.

I don't think a Bohemian Corporal would have got past Princess Beatrice.