Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On a memorial and grave but on CWGC once

Lady Linda

Hi everyone,

Now I am not sure whether this is an issue or not. Whilst downloading some photos for Thiepval I have discovered that names that are on there, are also on gravestone somewhere else. Whilst I know there were bodies that were found later and buried in a grave ,the names were still left on the memorial. My point is do I inform the CWGC that they are not listed as being on the Thiepval memorial even though they are there. I mean it is information that a relative might find useful as regards , they were initially missing, but then found?

Thanks for any thoughts

Linda

As they have been found and now have known graves they would not be listed digitally on The memorial the expression cast in stone comes to mind, that just cannot be wiped out immediately

I presume you are sure that the names refer to the same individual and not one of the many occurances where different men have the same surname and initial.

Assuming that the body has been later found and identified, the name would not be removed from Thiepval until the panel was due for replacement - something that may take many years. I would have thought that CWGC might have made a note on its online database that there was now a known burial.

Hi,

Thanks for your responses,they are definitely the same men as I have cross referenced them, double checked them and the fact they are listed on the memorial in the right regiment , right rank etc and several have such unusual names. I have been researching family history for a long time and no longer get sucked in by same names. What I meant was would it be useful to some relatives to be listed on the database of both? I would not expect the names to be taken off Thiepval as that would be like wiping out history.

regards

Linda

the CWGC records will only list the correct place of commemoration and this has changed. It used to be the Thiepval Memorial, but now it's marked graves. The names are still on the memorial, but this is now incorrect and as others have said, this will be rectified at some time in the future by the removal of the names.

Tom

I mean it is information that a relative might find useful as regards , they were initially missing, but then found?

I have no way of knowing when you last checked their online details but the 'original' paperwork is now available. Maybe these refer to this issue?

Hywyn

This one will take some beating. Where is he.

post-47020-0-07917100-1420811620_thumb.j

Looking at the CWGC paperwork attached to the listings, there seems to be a known grave in Pakistan (although no longer maintained, hence the commemoration on the Karachi memorial). The East lancs commemoration seems to be the one in error.

This one will take some beating. Where is he.

attachicon.gifKenyon. G. Pte. 176574-M.G.C.-M.C..jpg

That's quite something - I've never seen anything like it before. Actually, I have seen plenty of errors in SDGW regarding theatre in which the man died, so I think we can safely disregard 'France'. Assuming that there isn't an error on the MIC, the obvious answer to your question would be Pakistan; his MIC shows entitlement to a BWM only (therefore, service overseas, but not in a war zone).

Do you mind me asking how you uncovered it?

That's quite something - I've never seen anything like it before. Actually, I have seen plenty of errors in SDGW regarding theatre in which the man died, so I think we can safely disregard 'France'. Assuming that there isn't an error on the MIC, the obvious answer to your question would be Pakistan; his MIC shows entitlement to a BWM only (therefore, service overseas, but not in a war zone).

Do you mind me asking how you uncovered it?

It was whilst I was researching all the men on local war memorials, checking as much detail about each man as I could.

I have others who are not where they are supposed to be, but none as bad as the card for George Kenyon.

George died of influenza 11-Nov-1918 in Abhotabad Hospital in Pakistan. He did serve in the 6th East Lancs, then transfered to the M.G.C.

I have found an answer to my own question! There are about 130 names on Thiepval that are buried elsewhere. The names will never be removed ,they are staying on there ,but will not be listed on there..