Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli Casuality 25 April 1915

David_Blanchard

Hello,

I am researching Private Edward Pennell Stables, 11 Bn AIF killed on 25 April 1915.

I have found his service record which suggested he was badly wounded and then evacuated by hospital ship where I guess he subsequently died.

However, it appears that his name appears on Lone Pine Memorial. Would he have been buried at sea? Did this happen to most casualties from the Gallipoli campaign who were evacuated by ship and the died?

David

Hi David from the Australian War Memorial

" Tens of thousands of allied soldiers died at Gallipoli. When Christians, Jews or Indian Muslims died, they were buried, whenever possible either in cemeteries or isolated graves behind the front lines. If they died in battle, they were often left where they died as it was too dangerous to collect their bodies. In one instance, in May, an armistice was organised to bury the dead in no man’s land. These men were generally buried in mass graves in old trenches or ditches. Men who died on hospital ships were buried at sea. Sikhs and Gurkhas were often cremated. "

Mike

Hi Mike,

thanks very much for your prompt reply. Just hunted out a couple of books on the Anzac landings and it is confirmed that most men who were evacuated and died on hospital ships were buried at sea.

Regards

David

Hi David

Sandra (fedelmar) may have an image of him, which may resemble a man in a group photo of Northam recruits from Western Australia who joined the 11th Bn in 1914. I have this image in my 11Bn book Fremantle to France. If it is him I will send you a digital copy if you want one.

Will check it out and I can pm you if it is him. Sandra may well chime in shortly.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian ... I have posted the link on the facebook page as well for David.

Hope he has success in identifying the lad.

Hi All,

Suffering from jet lag. Got back from Perth yesterday.

Thanks for the replies.

Ian- I also discovered I have two photos of Arthur Wardlley who also features in your book.

David

Hi David,

Yes, it was routine to bury at sea those who died of their wounds aboard hospital ships and many names that appear on Helles and Lone Pine are those individuals.

There were supposed to be distance from shore restrictions for such burials and the time & care given for funeral arrangements often depended on the intensity of combat and whether a major action was in progress. Certainly the late April Anzac Cove and August combat actions at Suvla Bay placed great strain on hospital ships ability to provide adequate medical care and provide for decent burial arrangements.

The attached photo I hope I have provided shows soldiers who died of their wounds being transferred from a hospital ship to barges for burial further away from shore.

I would suggest using a general google search for further information. The Kew NA and AWM Canberra provide little on this subject, but if you have the name of his ship sometimes some interesting data will emerge. There is always the slight possibility that checking the newspapers past may yield a clue. Checking AIF unit war diaries and battalion histories online are a possibility.

However, sadly hundreds of young men slid beneath the waters of the Aegean with little notice and record of their passing. Good luck Ralph

post-92905-0-78199700-1420641894_thumb.j

Hello Ralph,

Thanks for going to all the trouble in helping to explain what happened to the men on the hospital ships near Gallipoli,

David