The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Edward (Hussin) Jones 8483 1RWF

Twickey

Have started researching this soldier. He appears in the medal index cards as Edward Jones, but is listed on the Ruthin War Memorial as Pte Edward (Hussin) Jones. Apparently he was captured and died as a POW in December 1914. Is anyone able to explain why Hussin appears in brackets on the war memorial please?

Cheers

From the 1891 census. Hassin seems to be a typo for Hussin:

Evan Jones

ESTIMATED BIRTH YEAR: abt 1870

RELATION: Head

SPOUSE'S NAME: Jane Jones

WHERE BORN: Llanrhydd, Denbighshire, Wales

CIVIL PARISH: Llanfwrog

ECCLESIASTICAL PARISH: Llanfwrog

COUNTY/ISLAND: Denbighshire

STREET ADDRESS: View image

CONDITION AS TO MARRIAGE: View image

EDUCATION: View image

EMPLOYMENT STATUS: View image

REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Ruthin

SUB REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Ruthin

ED, INSTITUTION, OR VESSEL: 3

NEIGHBORS: View others on page

PIECE: 4621

FOLIO: 20

PAGE NUMBER: 4

HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS:

NAME AGE

Evan Jones 21

Jane Jones 22

Edward Hassin 8

Lars, Thanks for sharing this information and for the quick reply, its much appreciated.

If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting that the name in brackets on the Ruthin memorial would be a name that soldier would have be otherwise known as, i.e. Edward Hussin as at the time of the 1891 census, who then presumably started using the name of Jones when he enlisted for whatever reason. I see the 1891 census lists Edward Hussin as a boarder with a family of Jones, so, assuming he became part of the family, he may well have become known as Edward Jones. Given the enlistment year would appear to be 1904, then the Edward Hussin listed as living in Ruthin in 1911, could be the same person as on the war memorial depending on when he completed his service before joining the reserve. I wonder if it is possible to identify which records were used when compiling the lists for war memorials which might have additional information..

I suspect it could be difficult to make much further progress without finding further details such as next of kin, which unfortunately don't appear to be on the CWGS database. I wonder if it might be worth trying to see if he's listed in the soldiers effects ledger at the National Archive WO25/3475?

Number indicates an enlistment in 1904 (source Army service number site), probably a 2nd bn reservist (medal rolls).

Lars

Why 2nd RWF? please.

Sorry Grumpy!

The bwm/vic medal roll notes him as 2nd RWF and 1st RWF. I guess it is more correct to say "probably a RWF reservist recalled and posted to 2nd RWF, and very soon diverted to 1st RWF".

Lars

He was listed as missing on 30th October 1914, when the battalion (already down to about half its strength following previous engagements) was overrun at Zandvoorde, Ypres. Most died, but some 4 officers and 50 other ranks were captured, all apparently wounded to some degree. A few fortunate soldiers were able to avoid capture and reach temporary safety - about 47, plus transport and other unengaged personnel, making a strength of 1 officer (Quartermaster) and 86 O/R that evening.

A handsome new memorial to the battalion was unveiled recently outside Zandvoorde church.

Clive

Clive

Thank you for the reply, its much appreciated. Would you be able to point me in the direction of the sources which showed he was listed as missing please? The reason I ask is that I'm also researching another Jones who also appears to have joined 1RWF from 2RWF after arriving in theatre (Jones 8580), and the records I've seen to date suggest he was one of the 86 that managed to survive and avoid capture only to be killed on 7th November in Lawford's counter-attack when the remnants of 1RWF were attached to 2/Queens. If a 1RWF roll-call following the battle of the 30th exists, it might help to confirm this.

Cheers!

Thank you very much. I asked because 2nd RWF didn't "do" losing PoW. Not their style!

Grumpy, please forgive my ignorance, but I couldn't work out what you meant by this. I'm afraid I'm still quite new to this subject matter so if it isn't too much trouble would you mind explaining what you meant when you say "2RWF didn't "do" losing PoW".

Many thanks

Always some risk of confusion here in the land of nicknames. If she was a local girl a mother's maiden name would be carried through successive generations to differentiate Jones, Williams

etc.

A couple smiles at the mo' remembering present day examples carrying the maiden name of G G grandmother.

The late David Williams's book says circumstances of Pte. E (Hussin) Jones are not known but 8 Officers and 213 other ranks captured at Langemarck, 20/21 October so possibly

he was one of these.

Will check local "oracles" soonest

Clive

Thank you for the reply, its much appreciated. Would you be able to point me in the direction of the sources which showed he was listed as missing please? The reason I ask is that I'm also researching another Jones who also appears to have joined 1RWF from 2RWF after arriving in theatre (Jones 8580), and the records I've seen to date suggest he was one of the 86 that managed to survive and avoid capture only to be killed on 7th November in Lawford's counter-attack when the remnants of 1RWF were attached to 2/Queens. If a 1RWF roll-call following the battle of the 30th exists, it might help to confirm this.

Cheers!

Same source as for 8580 Jones in other thread. For 8483 Jones the unpublished work states reported missing 30 10 1914, died in German hands 4 12 1914.

Hywyn

Grumpy, please forgive my ignorance, but I couldn't work out what you meant by this. I'm afraid I'm still quite new to this subject matter so if it isn't too much trouble would you mind explaining what you meant when you say "2RWF didn't "do" losing PoW".

Many thanks

It was a partisan comment driven by my great admiration for 2nd RWF.

In contrast to 1st RWF, 2nd battalion lost very few PoW in the entire war. 372 of 1st Bn, 5 of 2nd Bn. on 1914 star roll.

Most would agree that the 2nd had a very hard war, but that 1st RWF had an even harder one, especially in 1914 and 1915.