Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Makay Camp.......any info?

mebu

Would anyone have any info on, or reference to, Makay Camp, which was just along from Nine Elms cemetery, west of Poperinge?

Probably a late 1917/early '18 camp; unusual spelling of Scottish name, perhaps after a famous bod?

Enquiry is for local history, apparently the camp was used post-war as local school.

Any info welcome.

Peter

post-2649-0-58965700-1420364549_thumb.jp

• 2 years later...

Hi Peter,

We are also looking for some information on that Makay Camp because we are trying to rebuild the history of our college (Sint-Stanislascollege) of Poperinge. We know that some huts (three?) were built up nearby a local pub called "In de Nieuwen Keizel" kept by Désiré Claeys. Pupils got their lessons in those huts because the situation in the center of Poperinge became too dangerous. Trying to locate that place on military maps (such as above), then I think that pub and huts are to be located right in front of Makay Camp. 

Our school huts were dressed up in May 1917 and abandonned towards the end of April 1918. From September 1918 onwards, our college moved to the castel of Martragny in Normandy for nine months! We are also trying to find some stories about that exile!

So, to start with, if you have some more information (text or photos) of that Makay Camp, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Renaat Devos.

Renaat, sorry I cannot give you any information on Makay camp or the school as I do not have any. I can tell you about the pill box in the nearby barn: who built it ( F Platoon, 105th US Engineers, supervised by Master Engineer Stockard, July 1918). I think the camp was occupied by the Americans but cannot confirm this.

Sorry for brevity, Peter

Roel, looks like another one of those questions which gets replies - but without acknowledgement or thanks from the enquirer, eh?.

There have been recent threads on people who ask questions and don't say thanks for the answer. 

Peter

Renaat, sorry I cannot give you any information on Makay camp or the school as I do not have any. I can tell you about the pill box in the nearby barn: who built it ( F Platoon, 105th US Engineers, supervised by Master Engineer Stockard, July 1918). I think the camp was occupied by the Americans but cannot confirm this.

Sorry for brevity, Peter