Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

advice re RA collar dogs

damianb

First off a Happy New Year to all from a 'slightly' warm & humid Wollongong in New South Wales, Australia.

2ndly, I have an officers shoulder rank tunic that is without buttons or collar dogs & a mystery formation patch on the right shoulder (see my earlier posting). The tunic does have shadows of sorts on the lapel of what looks like a Royal Artillery flaming bomb & scroll (see pics). The problem is the lugs for the collar dogs are 4cm apart & are in an odd place at the very top of the flame & the bottom of the scroll. I have found 2 on eBay but the seller does not have any identifying details re the period ie ww1,ww2 or later (also see pics) and wasn't too responsive when asked.

Could anyone please advise on what I should be looking for to date RA collar dogs to the right era & also any suggestions on who might have some for sale that could have the same lug spacing?

Thanks for any replies

Damian

post-111744-0-57508300-1420342241_thumb.

post-111744-0-05549200-1420342262_thumb.

First off a Happy New Year to all from a 'slightly' warm & humid Wollongong in New South Wales, Australia.

2ndly, I have an officers shoulder rank tunic that is without buttons or collar dogs & a mystery formation patch on the right shoulder (see my earlier posting). The tunic does have shadows of sorts on the lapel of what looks like a Royal Artillery flaming bomb & scroll (see pics). The problem is the lugs for the collar dogs are 4cm apart & are in an odd place at the very top of the flame & the bottom of the scroll. I have found 2 on eBay but the seller does not have any identifying details re the period ie ww1,ww2 or later (also see pics) and wasn't too responsive when asked.

Could anyone please advise on what I should be looking for to date RA collar dogs to the right era & also any suggestions on who might have some for sale that could have the same lug spacing?

Thanks for any replies

Damian

The holes might relate to a Royal Engineers collar grenade, which was similar in shape to the Royal Artillery but slightly different in size, which would have affected the positioning of the securing loops. There were also a number of Fusilier (infantry) regiments that also wore a grenade shaped collar badge (e.g. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers) which would have left a similar shaped discolouration on the collar. Most of these uniforms had a tailors label with the officers name stitched into an inside chest pocket. If there is the name of the officer on this it should be possible to trace his regiment.