Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information on medal recipient royal Munster fusiliers please

kmad

Hello

I am not normally a medal collector and know next to nothing about finding out information on recipient

Would anyone be able to give me any information on the recipient of a victory medal

Naming on rim

I checked already on CWGC site and he was not a casualty

10272 pte. M Kavanagh R. Mun. Fus.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Regards send a happy new year to all

Ken

Ken

It may help you to know that his forename was Michael.

The best place to start looking is on Ancestry, where they have his Medal Index Card. This confirms the date that he was sent to Gallipoli and his entitlement to a trio and there is also a separate Silver War Badge entry confirming the date that he enlisted and the date that he was discharged. There are also Medal Roll entries confirming that he was in 1st Battalion.

Alternatively, his Medal Index Card can be downloaded from the National Archives here.

Hope this helps.

C

Hi

Thanks for information

I am not a member on ancestry and medals are not my thing so I can't see my getting value from this

so I think I will go the national archives route, will this tell me about his service in Gallipoli and when he got the silver war badge as will or is ancestry the only place to get this info and also info on his discharge

Thanks for taking time to look up the NA link

Ken

Ken

The Medal Index Card will not tell you much by itself - it will give the name of the regiment, the medals to which he was entitled and, in this case, the date and place of entry into a theatre of war.

There will be day to day details of the battalion's activity at Gallipoli in their War Diary but I think that the digital copies of the Gallipoli war diaries were withdrawn by the National Archives last year and have yet to be re-released so you would need to make a trip to Kew (or ask if any kind member of Forum has a copy they can let you see).

Michael Kavanagh was discharged in July 1916 so it looks like he may have gone with his battalion to France that March before being discharged.

C

was he 1st bn

At least to begin with - or so it says in the Medal Roll entry for British War and Victory Medals.

• 4 years later...

Hi MEK

I found his victory  in an antique shop and purchased it and i was just trying to find out more on the Man 

I sold the medal a few months ago to a chap in Galway

Regards

Ken