The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Mervyn Lloyd

John Beech

Afternoon All

Looking for any information on the above officer, in particular when he joined the Militia.

His career seems to have been spent entirely in the Militia and Special Reserve Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers, until the outbreak of the war.He appears to have been gazetted into 5th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers sometime around 1900, as he was appointed Lieutenant from Second Lieutenant on 5th June 1901. He rose to the rank of Captain prior to the 5th Battalion becoming 3rd (Reserve) Battalion in 1908 and retained this rank thereafter.

He arrived in theatre in December 1914 attached to 1st Battalion and was wounded in the leg on 3rd March 1915. He was evacuated to the UK and, although the wound was not thought to be serious, he died of his wounds on 15th March and was buried in Farnham Civil Cemetery.

Lloyd was born in 3rd Quarter 1883 in Reigate, Surrey and was the son of Richard B and Katherine Lloyd of Silkwood Reigate. His father was a bank director. In civilian life, he was the Estate Manager at Mere Country House, Cheshire.

Regards

John

John

His service file might be this one:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C712672. It runs from 1905 to 1924 though,and may not be !

Later: Checked the WO338 Officer File Index on Discovery and don't see a Mervyn Lloyd.

Sotonmate

Many thanks for the suggestion

Regards

John

Hart's Army List of 1901 states that he was gazetted 2nd Lt. in 5th Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers on 22 October 1900. Regrettably the so-called search engine of the London Gazette would not reveal the notification.

An obituary was published in The Times on Friday March 19 1915

post-43672-0-89222200-1420314827_thumb.j

Harry

Much appreciated. I tried the LG and found

the majority of his rank changes through a combination of his full name and his initial and surname, but for some reason could not find an initial joining date.

Thanks also for the obituary

Regards

John

John

An entry in Campaign Medals on Ancestry yields nothing for the Anglo-Boer War,but has 2/Lt J LLOYD of 5 NF on a list for the award of the "Medal for Militia 1902",for service in Gibraltar,Malta and Egypt from 1899 to 1902.

Sotonmate

Thanks for this. There is an entry from around this time in the LG recording his promotion to Lieutenant whilst serving with regular forces, so this may relate to this.

Regards

John

Further references to Capt. Lloyd:-

The Newcastle Journal, Wednesday 10.3.1915 reported him being wounded.

.... Captain Mervyn Lloyd, who was with the 1st Battalion of the Northumbrian men, is an officer of the 3rd Battalion at Alnwick, and, like Sir George Beaumont, he served in the Mediterranean when his unit was embodied in 1900.

The Cheshire Observer, Saturday March 20 1915

CAPTAIN MERVYN LLOYD

We regret to state that official intimation of the death of Captain Mervyn Lloyd of the Northumberland Fusiliers came to hand on Thursday night. He was shot in the leg last week and died in Boulogne on Monday. In civil life Captain Lloyd was agent for the Mere Estate, Northwich. He was captain of the local cricket club and head of the local Scout movement, which he made very popular.

Harry

Many thanks for this additional information

Regards

John

Hi John,

Mervyn Lloyd was commissioned into the 5th Bn on 2nd November,1900.

I have an extensive obituary from the St.G.G. which may add a few bits to what you already know and an excellent photo if you need one.

Regards, Robert

Hi Robert

That would be great. Think you have my email address, but will PM it

Regards

John

• 2 years later...

Hello to you all,

I'm new to this forum (I literally joined 5 minutes ago) so I don't really know what this is all about. I was looking for any information I could find about Captain Mervyn Lloyd for some very specific reasons. During my research I came across this conversation and it's really interesting! 
I don't know if I'll get a reply because this is a conversation from 2 years ago ... but I do hope so! Is there anything more one of you found out about minster Lloyd? 
And Old Owl, is there any chance you could mail the  extensive obituary  and picture to me as well? I'd be very grateful! 

Regards
Simon

• 2 months later...

Simon,   I just read this conversation trail on Mervyn Lloyd. Wondered if you received anything at all ? We may be able to share what we have, as there may be some gaps that could be filled.

Let me know if this gets to you at all / if you still have an interest.

David

• 9 months later...
On 31-5-2017 at 17:21, David J O said:

Simon,   I just read this conversation trail on Mervyn Lloyd. Wondered if you received anything at all ? We may be able to share what we have, as there may be some gaps that could be filled.

Let me know if this gets to you at all / if you still have an interest.

David

Hey David

I'm sorry, I only saw your answer five minutes ago (haven't visited this forum for a while). 
I have received some valuable information indeed! Mostly pictures (the same picture but in different sizes) and an article. 
I'm still interested in him though, I aim to collect as much information about his live and family possible!