Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland Fusiliers

Dizzydiesy

I have a wristwatch presented by Gateshead War Honours Recognition Committee. It actually has the initials R.N.R. On it. I can't find anything to fit them. The person in question was presented with the watch in 1918. The Battalion is 12/13th. The soldier was a private. He also had the Belgian Croix de Guerrero. As it was presented in Gateshead I am assuming that he was with the Northumberland Fusiliers but that doesn't fit the initials given. They were not given "Royal" status till much later. Could it be another regiment?

Well, others know far more than me, but the 12th and 13th Battalions, NF, were amalgamated to make the 12/13th Battalion, so that fits.

I have a wristwatch presented by Gateshead War Honours Recognition Committee. It actually has the initials R.N.R. On it. I can't find anything to fit them. The person in question was presented with the watch in 1918. The Battalion is 12/13th. The soldier was a private. He also had the Belgian Croix de Guerrero. As it was presented in Gateshead I am assuming that he was with the Northumberland Fusiliers but that doesn't fit the initials given. They were not given "Royal" status till much later. Could it be another regiment?

Any chance of a photo of the inscription?

Sorry but my technology doesn't stretch to putting photos on! However, I can give you a bit more information. I researched the watch and I believe it is called a Hunter watch. It was presented at the Empire Gateshead which I think was a theatre. It was presented by a Col. Crouch. D.S.O. The private in question must have been a Gateshead man. The Belgian Croix de Guerre was presented at the same time. The soldier's name was Pte Chas Donaldson. I hope this helps. I would love to know more about why he got the Belgian award as I believe it was for an act of heroism.

23617 Pte Charles Donaldson, of 9 Leonards Court, Gateshead - enlisted sometime in 1915 and originally served with the 1st Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers, before posting to the 12th Bn, then the 12/13th Bn. Known to have been wounded/sick November 1916 and was awarded the Croix-de-Guerre(Belgium) 10th April 1918. Survived the war and was eventually transferred to the Class 'Z' Army Reserve

Although it appears you have sorted out the recipients details, R.N.R. usually stands for Royal Naval Reserve but in this instance may be an incorrect acronym for Royal Northumberland Regt., which of course never existed.

Thank you. That's exactly why I was puzzled. The Northumberland Fusiliers didn't get the title "Royal" till much later . I did wonder if I had misread it......the letters are quite faint. It could read R.N.F. I am certain though we have the correct soldier. So I am happy with that.