The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help - Turnbull brothers

ajt55

Hi there,

Looking for a relative. I have searched Ancestry for hours and hours. I did find one relative in the Royal Garrison Artillery, my great great uncle, Arthur Hindhaugh, with a full service history. It was very detailed and learned a lot about him and where he was through various records.

My Great Great Grandad also served, along with at least 2 or 3 of his brothers. I cannot pin point records for them unfortunately on there, but they definetly went away. We do not know which regiment they were with.

James Turnbull, born roughly 1876/77. Last residence on the 1911 census was 3 George Street, Murton, County Durham. Married to Jane Turnbull (nee Hughes)

Robert Turnbull, born roughly 1881/82. Last Residence was on 1911 census, 24 North Street, Murton, County Durham. Unmarried.

John Turnbull, born roughly 1881. From the 1911 census was, 24 North Street, Murton, County Durham. Married, for under one year, to who unknown.

Are there any other sources of information or points to go to?

Thanks

Andrew

Have you looked on Ancestry for Medal Index Cards for them?

Andrew

There is a well put together family tree on ancestry which refers to Arthur Hindhaugh's military records (here). Assuming this is your family, Frederick was killed on 17 June 1918 whilst serving in France with 19th Battalion, DLI.

Frederick Hindhaugh's service records immediately follow Arthur's on Ancestry.

There are slightly over 30 Hindhaughs whose Medal Index cards are on Ancestry and some of them may refer to Arthur and Frederick's other brothers.There is one for an Oswald Hindhaugh, for example, who served with the Northumberland Fusiliers, for example.

I hope this is helpful and best of luck in finding out more about your relatives' service.

C

Andrew

Might I suggest you put the names of the family members you are seeking in a post? It might help.

Garth

Hi Garth,

I am looking for..

James Turnbull, born roughly 1876/77. Last residence on the 1911 census was 3 George Street, Murton, County Durham. Married to Jane Turnbull (nee Hughes)

Robert Turnbull, born roughly 1881/82. Last Residence was on 1911 census, 24 North Street, Murton, County Durham. Unmarried.

John Turnbull, born roughly 1881. From the 1911 census was, 24 North Street, Murton, County Durham. Married, for under one year, to who unknown.

I do know they definitley served.

Have you looked on Ancestry for Medal Index Cards for them?

Hi John,

I have looked through them and found many possiblities, what is the best way to cross reference them do you know?

Thanks

Andrew

When looking at the MiC's scroll down and see if nok is given with an address.

You could also try Pension Records.

Andrew

There is a well put together family tree on ancestry which refers to Arthur Hindhaugh's military records (here). Assuming this is your family, Frederick was killed on 17 June 1918 whilst serving in France with 19th Battalion, DLI.

Frederick Hindhaugh's service records immediately follow Arthur's on Ancestry.

There are slightly over 30 Hindhaughs whose Medal Index cards are on Ancestry and some of them may refer to Arthur and Frederick's other brothers.There is one for an Oswald Hindhaugh, for example, who served with the Northumberland Fusiliers, for example.

I hope this is helpful and best of luck in finding out more about your relatives' service.

C

Hi there,

Yes thats definitley him. I didnt know he had a brother but did see his enlistment papers and saw a Frederick, just didn't look in to that! Thanks for that one. I will be researching him now as well, its also the first one I have come across to lose his life in France. It looks like someone has already been on his trail, as a google search brought up a lot of information and even a photo of a small cemetery in the Somme where he is buried.

Thanks for that bit of advice! :)

Had a bit of luck! I went with the information I had from my research and census, they then checked the absent Voters list in 1918 which brought up two names!

Robert Turnbull (great great uncle) living in the same house as Arthur Hindhaugh (my great great uncle - served in WW1 R.G.A) both brothers in law. He was 134277 of the Royal Field Artillery. 32nd D.A.C.

..and possibly John Turnbull (great great uncle) living next door, he was 176844 of the Royal Garrison Artillery.

Now, for James Turnbull...

• spof changed the title to Help - Turnbull brothers