The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

301st Battalion RFA

Lesly

My great uncle Joseph Henry bidgood died on 3rd October 1916 aged 18 years. He was a gunner 1358 in c battery 301st RFA and enlisted in Brixton. I am wondering how I can find out about when he enlisted and whether he gave any false details as he was only 18 when he died. Can anyone help

Lesly

Welcome to the forum.

According to the battalion war diary he was killed in action by a rifle bullet but is recorded as being killed on the 2nd of October. This can be downloaded from the national archives website under reference WO95/3027/4 for £3.50. It will give an idea of where his artillery brigade (not battalion) served up to his death.

Have you searched for service records on Ancestry or Find my Past - these should identify enlistment dates. If he was in France aged 18 he had presumably enlisted underage and only after his death was his age established. Can his age be confirmed through census details or birth details?

Kind regards

Colin

Colin

I don't have my crib list to hand but 301 Bde RFA was part of 60th Division, and as far as I know they only served in Salonika and the Middle East, whereas your WO95 reference is in the France and Belgium series.

The brigade was originally a second-line Territorial unit, which might explain the underage issue as they were originally intended for Home Defence only.

Ron

Ron

I believe the division served in France for the second half of 1916 - I believe mostly in the Vimy area. Their diaries for this period are available to download. I presume their diaries for other theatres have other references further down the lists at Kew.

I needed to check my own crib sheet to look it up earlier!

Kind regards

Colin

Thanks Colin. I had forgotten that 60th Division had spent time in the West too!

You are right that their War Diaries for their service in Salonika and the Middle East can be found further along in class WO95.

Ron

Hi,

Thanks for all these yes I have checked both find my past and ancestry and got the war diary for the day he was shot. He enlisted in Brixton and I did wonder if he enlisted at 17. He was born October/November/December quarter of 1898.i presume his enlistment was lost in the WW2 bombing raid. I have all the details of his brother Frank william bidgood including his personal effects but have nothing for Joseph Henry.

Hi Lesly

Joseph Henry Bidgood, 1358, rank Gunner, 2nd/6th London Brigade Territorial Force. In late 1916 re-designated 301st (London) Brigade R.F.A. T.F.

Born Brixton, Oct, Nov, Dec, 1897.

1911 Census. age 13, address 4, Eythorne Road, Brixton.

2nd/6th London was a second line Territorial Force Brigade, based at 105, Holland Road, Brixton, S.W. Attached to the 60th (London) Division. It took

From April 1915 to June 1916 to be formed from scratch and up to strength.

Embarked Southampton 23rd June 1916, landed La Harve. Attached to XV11 Corps at Vimy Ridge and in the Arras sector, until 24th November 1916 left

Marseilles for Salonika.

Servicemen from 301st were laid to rest in Haute-Avesnes British Cemetery, Louez Military Cemetery, Aubigny Communal Cemetery and on the Arras Memorial.

Hope this is of use

Regards

Tony.