Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Times Index access?

Bennett

Does anyone have access to the Times Index? I am researching Lt Ralph Imray Kirton, RFC, who died in a flying accident at Farnborough 22 November 1918 and was hoping for further details of his accident. Thank You Ralph

Hi Bennett

Please only post queries once and in one place - I'm sure you will still get and answer.

Happy New Year

Keith Roberts

I couldn't find any references to your man having searched The Times up to July 1919. I'm not surprised that there appears not to have been details printed of his death, but I would have thought that at least his name would have appeared. (Were deaths at home included in Casualty lists?)

I'm sure that members better skilled than I will be able to provide you with information from other sources.

Good luck.

Moonraker

Thanks Moonraker. My other sources indicate that was a piece in the Times concerning him but unclear as to exactly when? Happy New Year Ralph

No problem, Ralph. I entered the full name in the search box and also just "Kirton"; the former revealed no hits, the latter two or three, but none could be matched to your man.

The Times search function is pretty good, but sometimes with these digitised newspapers the word searched for may be there but not recognised. I also searched for "Farnborough" for a three-week period, but there was only one hit.

Moonraker

Ralph,

"The cause of the accident was an error of judgement on the part of the Pilot in attempting to roll out at too low an altitude, not having sufficient height to complete the roll before striking the roof of a shed."

Source:RAF Casualty Card - Incident.

You will find several references for him here.

Phil

Thanks again. Phil, I had viewed the front of the RAF casualty card noting the pilot error "misjudgment" entry but I neglected to take a look at the back. So thanks & mystery solved as the card entry would very likely surpass any newspaper article.

Interesting to speculate why the too low altitude roll. Perhaps an overconfident or bored test pilot celebrating the end of the Great War that had denied him an active combat role since 18 March 1916. Best Wishes Ralph