Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd county of London Yeomanry (Sharpshooters)

cazack

Hello all

just a quick question in regards to the 3rd County of London Yeomanry in regards to where they served during WW 1

The reason I a asking is that I have a trio to this regiment and his MIC states he landed in Russia (3) on 11.09.1915, but I cant seem to locate that the regiment did not seem to serve in Russia.

Can anyone clarify if they did serve in Russia in 1915

regards and thanks

Cazack

(3) refers to Egypt as a theatre on MICs before 1916. I presume someone has written this as the code for his arrival theatre but someone has later put the wrong theatre down because after 1 Jan 1916 (3) referred to Russia. I would presume he landed in Egypt on the above date as a reinforcement, but his MIC was written up after Jan 1916

Kind regards

Colin

They mustered at Streatley on Thames in 1914, moved to coastal defence in Essex, sailed from Avonmouth to Egypt in early 1915, took part in the 2nd Mounted Div actions at Gallipoli, returned to Egypt and saw out the remainder of the war in the Egypt/Palestine theatre.

Hello

Thanks for that as I thought the same, so he would have basically served in Egypt then Gallipoli

regards and thanks

Sorry - didn't see out the war in Egypt - they saw service in France later on as a machine gun battalion. They disembarked at Marseilles in May 1918.

They also saw 6 months on the Salonika/Macedonia front, November 1916 - May 1917.

I must learn not to rely on memory !

hi

Yes I notice he also has MGC number, is there away to find out which units a person was attached to in the MGC through their service number

regards and thanks

I think it extremely unlikely he served in Gallipoli. The regiment landed in Gallipoli on 17th Aug 1915 and none of the 14 original Yeomanry Regiments of the 2nd Mtd Div (dismounted) received reinforcement drafts in Gallipoli other than the men initially left in reserve. Each regiment only deployed with around 326 men, leaving the remainder in Egypt with the horses. Reinforcements did arrive in the shape of other Yeomanry Regiments. Unless he was with the original men sent out in August, it is unlikely he served in Gallipoli. His disembarkation date is too late.

MG

hi

Yes I notice he also has MGC number, is there away to find out which units a person was attached to in the MGC through their service number

regards and thanks

The Regt helped form one of the MGC (Cavalry) Squadrons. I am away from my library and can check which Sqn on my return unless someone else can help in the meantime

Hi Martin

thanks for your help and look forward to any further information in regards to the MGC as I have two medal groups for the 3rd County of London yeomanry and both ended up in the MGC and their service numbers are relatively close

regards

Caz

Hi Martin

thanks for your help and look forward to any further information in regards to the MGC as I have two medal groups for the 3rd County of London yeomanry and both ended up in the MGC and their service numbers are relatively close

regards

Caz

In April 1918 the regiment, along with the Roughriders, formed the 103rd Bn MGC. So. it seems they skipped the MGC (Cavalry) and became MGC

MG

• 5 years later...

Hello Everyone,

I am seeking information about Bernard Alfred Brazier, born 4.11.1896, who was Private 1757 in the 3rd County of London Yeomanry (Sharpshooters) and disembarked in Theatre of War 3 (Egypt) on 11.9.1915. He later transferred to the Machine Gun Corps as Private 150541. He survived the war and was disembodied on 11.2.1919. I have his medal index card and medal rolls, from which I got this information, but nothing else. I would much appreciate anything extra.

Regards,

Peter

Peter, if you are looking for a general account of the regiment's war service Boris Mollo wrote a short regimental history that includes six pages and a few photographs relating to the First World War.  He was Keeper of Records at the National Army Museum and also served with the regiment's successors in the 1960s and 1970s, so I think it is fair to say that he knew his subject.  The book is still available from the Kent and County of London Yeomanry Museum Trust - https://www.ksymuseum.org.uk/Shop/Books

Edited by Bordercollie

2 hours ago, Ian Hards said:

Hi Peter, 

My grandfather also fought with the 3rd County of London Yeomanry. He arrived in Egypt on 6th March 1916. After the Palestinian campaign he went to France. The 3rd County all joined the MGC. I attached a link to his memoirs. I have other papers too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0jh2ih0ic8f9wv/William Archer Memoires.pdf?dl=0

The most gruelling part of his service was at the Capture of Beersheba in October 1917 operating in very difficult terrain.

Regards

Ian

Ian, thank you very much indeed for generously sharing this material. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Peter

Edited by PCTooke

2 hours ago, Bordercollie said:

Peter, if you are looking for a general account of the regiment's war service Boris Mollo wrote a short regimental history that includes six pages and a few photographs relating to the First World War.  He was Keeper of Records at the National Army Museum and also served with the regiment's successors in the 1960s and 1970s, so I think it is fair to say that he knew his subject.  The book is still available from the Kent and County of London Museum Trust - https://www.ksymuseum.org.uk/Shop/Books

Thank you for taking the time to send me this, it's very helpful.

Regards,

Peter

Mate,

I also show a number with the Camel Corps

Brading    F.A.    56876    A/Cpl    Tos 9Co ICC WIA 21-4-17 arm shrapnel at 2nd Gaza died from wounds Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooters) (1592) and Corps of Hussars to Royal Flying Corps (319014)    WIA 21-4-17
Burlace    Henry Edward Issac    845    Pte    shown 9Co ICC killed at 2nd Gaza buried Gaza War Cemetery Palestine Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooters) (845) and Corps of Hussars (265118)     KIA 21-4-17
Colin    Edward J.    50884    Pte    Tos 9Co 4-16 shown ICC Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooters) (1253) and Corps of Hussars (265305)    
Combe or Coombe     Stanley Greatrex        2/Lt    Tos 9Co 4-16 (commanded 1/3 County of London Yeo sect) shown with Lt Brothers in raid at Sena Redoubt 11-8-17 att bomb instructor HQ/ICC Bde 12-17 to UK leave rtn 4-18 died dysentry at 26 BSH buried Ismailia War Cemetery Egypt Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooters) (648)     DoD 11-10-18
Craft    John W.    50162    Pte    Tos 8Co 4-16 WIA 27-3-18 at Amman Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooters)(2644) and Corps of Hussars (327155)    WIA 27-3-18
Daniels    Arthur    50848    Pte    Tos 9Co 4-16 shown ICC Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooters) (867) to 1/1 Nottingham Yeo (South Notts Hussars) (265128)    
Dansie    Septimus Crown Vass    265360    Pte    possibly 9Co? ICC? shown possibly KIA 6-8-16 killed at Bir el Aweidiya NKG listed on the Jerusalem War Memorial Palestine Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooter) (1382) and Corps of Hussars (265360) age 22    KIA 4-8-16
Feasey    Stanley C.    50878    Pte    Tos 9Co 4-16 shown ICC Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooters) (1179) and Corps of Hussars    
Gregory    Fleming Clement        Capt    OC 7Co 8-16 t/att Yeo Res Co CTU 5-17 rtn 6-17 to 11-17 MC - for his actions at Rafa or 1st Gaza reported killed by shells at Bald Hill DoW 29-11-17 buried Ramleh War Cemetery Palestine Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooters) age 33    DoW 29-11-17
Harries    Sydney J.    50855    Cpl    Tos 9Co 4-16 ICC? Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Middlesex Hussars) (1077) and Corps of Hussars AKA Harris    
Hurcomb    Percy    50758    Pte    Tos possibly 9Co? 4-16 ICC? Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooters) (3137) and Corps of Hussars    
Nicholls    Ernest Frederick    2432    Pte    Tos 9Co ICC killed at 2nd Gaza buried Gaza War Cemetery Palestine Ex 1/1 City of London Yeo (Rough Riders) (40258) or 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooters) age 22    KIA 21-4-17
Reed    Allan James    903    Pte    possibly 9Co? ICC? shown 2Bn ICC possibly WIA 6-8-16 at Bir el Aweidia died of wounds buried Kantara War Cemetery Egypt Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooters) (903)     WIA 6-8-16 DoW 15-8-16
Speirs    Andrew A.    50870    Pte    Tos 9Co? 4-16 shown ICC Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooters) (1186) and Corps of Hussars    
Wadleton    Alfred H.    50875    Pte    Tos 9Co 4-16 shown ICC WIA 19-4-17 body shrapnel at 2nd Gaza Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooters) (2099) and Corps of Hussars    WIA 19-4-17
Williamson    Thomas    508??    Pte    Tos 9Co 4-16 ICC Ex 1/3 County of London Yeo (Sharpshooters) (1495) and Corps of Hussars see MIC Kew records    

AI also have a number of others with the Coutry of London Regt but I show them mostly in the 1/1 or 1/2 Regts

Cheers

S.B