Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMY Iolaire

jay dubaya

Close to The Beasts tonight and raising a glass to those that perished and those that lived through the torment of those utterly tragic events 96 years ago today.

May their souls rest in peace and their memory continue in our thoughts

:poppy:

Amen to that. As with the Natal, that was another totally unexpected, and equally poignant Scottish tragedy.

Hazel

• 1 year later...

Close to The Beasts tonight and raising a glass to those that perished and those that lived through the torment of those utterly tragic events 96 years ago today.

May their souls rest in peace and their memory continue in our thoughts

:poppy:

I notice the TV programme about the IOLAIRE is repeated on BBC Alba this afternoon

HISTORY DOCUMENTARY: An Iolaire

On: BBC Alba

Date: Sunday 3rd January 2016 (starting in 4 hours and 47 minutes)

Time: 17:30 to 18:30 (1 hour long)

Sùil às ùr air dè dh'adhbhraich call na h-Iolaire, far an do chaillear còrr is 200 òganach air oidhche na Bliadhn' Ùr 1919 's iad a' tilleadh dhachaigh bho'n Chogadh Mhòr. The moving story of one of Britain's worst maritime disasters, the loss of more than 200 sailors just yards from shore, as they returned home to Lewis and Harris on New Year's Day 1919 having survived the Great War.

(Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=7346

Copyright © GipsyMedia Limited.

Available outside Scotland on Freesat and iPlayer

Pity a power station has built behind the Iolaire Memorial.

Thanks for the program heads-up mbrisco. Also I wasn't aware of plans to build a power station near the memorial, are there any further details?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The local MP helped out

Isles MP Angus MacNeil was pleased to be able to assist the Stornoway Amenity Trust and The Nicolson Institute by collecting stones to represent the three young London men lost in the Iolaire tragedy.

Read more at: https://www.stornowaygazette.co.uk/news/mp-helps-with-the-iolaire-memorial-project-1-4710017

The memorial will be unveiled by Nicolson Institute pupils in Stornoway this Friday, March 23rd.

Thanks for your heads up on this, after reading your post#6, I contacted the Iolaire memorial project co-ordinater and sent a stone for the Grimsby casualty - 

Trimmer/Cook Ernest Ainsworth BROWN aged 22. I selected the stone from the South Bank of the Humber, close to the Grimsby dock entrance.

It was posted early last week at 15:40 hrs and arrived 13:20 the next day which I thought was excellent given the weather at the time and the distance.

Terry

7 hours ago, mbriscoe said:

Have they got a complete set of stones?

Don't know the answer to that, all but 20 of the casualties were local.

Terry 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Stornoway Gazette

Iolaire Poppy Pins

The Iolaire Working Group is pleased to confirm that commemorative Iolaire poppy pins produced by Poppy Scotland, will be available to purchase for £3 each from Monday 1st October 2018.

• 2 months later...

The Oban Times today has an article on the commemorations.

There will be a torchlight procession from Stornoway starting at 2030h with one torch for each person lost on the Iolaire. 

"A Community Remembers" in Stornoway at 2130h which will be broadcast on Radio nan Gaidheal and streamed live.

There will be a memorial service the following day at the memorial and another service onboard the MV SEAFORTH with children from across the island will throw flowers into the sea.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I got a copy of The Darkest Dawn - The Story of the Iolaire Tragedy by Malcolm MacDonald and Donald John MacLeod, published by Acair.

It is a really high quality production, 486 pages - 1¼" thick.  Details and photographs of all those lost on the vessel as well the survivors.

Does the book cover the crew of the Iolaire as well as the men from the  island who were killed? I would love a photo of Steward Frank Humphry to illustrate a biography of him on my website. 

David

3 minutes ago, David Earley said:

Does the book cover the crew of the Iolaire as well as the men from the  island who were killed? I would love a photo of Steward Frank Humphry to illustrate a biography of him on my website. 

David

They don't have a photograph of him, just a short biography.

I was just having a quick look to see what there is on TV.

BBC Alba have four short Gaelic programmes during the evening of the 31st and BBC2 Scotland has a programme on the evening of the 1st January.

DOCUMENTARY: In Sight of Home: The Iolaire
On: BBC 2 Scotland (02)    
Date: Tuesday 1st January 2019 (starting in 13 days)
Time: 22:00 to 23:00 (1 hour long)

Documentary providing a moving account of the HMY Iolaire, which tragically sank on New Year's Day 1919. Arguably the greatest tragedy to befall the west coast of Scotland remains, to this day, largely unknown. On 1 January 1919, having survived the First World War, in excess of 250 naval men were returning home to celebrate a peaceful New Year. But in the blackest of nights, in a rising gale, HMY Iolaire sank within yards of the Lewis coast. The programme features testimonies of the islanders and documents all aspects of the story, which includes tales of extraordinary bravery and foresight.
(Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles)
Marked By: 'Category: Documentary' marker
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=7346

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.