Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Women combat pilots

robbie

Sorry, I forgot to mention. After many years of research, I can find NO documentation that Dutrieu ever flew in the Paris Air Guard during WWI. This seems to be a myth which recurs periodically, but I cannot find its origin. The air museums in Paris and Brussels (She was Belgian who became French by Marriage) cannot document it for me either. If anyone has any primary or secondary sources for this information, I would love to see it. Dave

Terrific stuff thanks Doc Dave.

Robbie :P

Thanks for me too!

cheers Shelley :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Biplane pilot

I think that most NATO countries have tolerated female combat pilots for several years now. <_< Besides the US and UK there's Canada and the Netherlands; haven't heard about Germany, Italy, etc.

In the case of the US, the change in federal law was wholly political because it occurred during the greatest force reduction since WW II. We literally had a surplus of MANpower, but the Bushies were terrified of the feminazis. In the end, combat-experienced aircrew were released in favor of female admin officers to bump up the numbers. (Ducking the inevitable incoming...)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Doc. DId this come from a book?

Robbie

Good morning, Robbie. Unfortunately, I am not sure of the source. I have been collecting Marvingt pictures for years, and people just send me stuff, usually without source information. I know that another version of this photo, with autograph, is in the collection at the Musee de L'Air et L'Espace in Paris, but since this one is not signed, it appears to be from some other source. The same photo, circularly cropped, was published in La Revue Aerienne, 10 March 1912. Although it is labelled as 1913, I think it was actually taken at the time of the Nancy-Jarville air show in 1912. There are probably lots of copies of it around. I think I saw it somewhere on the net a few years ago, too. If you have photos of any of the other early lady pilots, I would like to obtain copies, as I am researching all these ladies who flew before WWI. Doc2

Good morning Doc. Thanks for the information and I will indeed keep a lookout for photos of pre-www1 women pilots.

Robbie :)